DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle Patch

Angry

!hello

Many time's i try to understand Oracle Patch

but i was unable to

what is Oracle Patch?????????????????

Maybe a bird maybe a car

A patch is a part of software that repair some database errors (bugs) and create other news

Cheers

Angel

When we say Oracle Version 8.1.7.3, it means that we have software for the base release 8.1.7 and the patch 8.1.7.3(another piece of software) has to be applied to make it 8.1.7.3. A Patch is released to overcome few bugs to the existing base release which cannot wait to be applied till the next release.

The rule that your apply patch to your database?

hi, dbas:
    when oracle release a new patchset for your version , say, now you have oracle 8.1.7.2 installed on your production, and now the latest patchset has been released.
    So, what is the rule that you apply this patchset? If the production is good with current patchset(eg, 8.1.7.2), will you choose to upgrade to 8.1.7.4?
    www.cnoug.org

We upgrade the software only when it is required or on a safer front that we dont hit the bugs, we upgrade it. Say ur production is running fine with 8.1.7.2, there might be possibility that the bugs which occured in 8.1.7.2 hits u someday and then anyway u have to upgrade it

Most patchsets contain a large number of security updates. These should be applied as soon as possible to prevent problems. If possible it's best to keep on top of these.
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog