DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DB2 UDB Vs. Oracle cert

Originally posted by dknight
    DB2 on the mainframe is a different product than DB2 on Windows and Unix.

That's why it says UDB (Universal Database) NT/UNIX DB2 version ...no more green screen

I've got both certificates, UDB is easier to get. I found that UDB has very good value as well because there are not that many certified udb dba (unix/nt) around. Recently there are increasing number of dba jobs for udb. Try search keyworld DBA at monster.com you will be surprised.

Here in Singapore, I hardly heard anything about a company using DB2. But because of the economic situation which is unstable my boss wanted us to get into the IBM products as well. FYI, right now I have already handled projects for Oracle but due to the lack of projects coming in on this lovely product we are forced to step on unchartered area, which is DB2.

I personally think that to work with Oracle you have to step on the development side in order to be profitable. If you just offer services like installation, advanced configuration, backup, or other point services like what we do right now, there will hardly be enough projects to feed all the engineers here.

My boss said that he wanted to see the business first whether there is DB2 opportunities or not for the next 3-6 months. If it is not enough then he will drop the business.
    Well, I am really confused over this but what can I say.

Guys, what do you think?

Ric
    Oracle freak & about-to-be DB2 freak
    Singapore

Jack of all trades, master of none!
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog