DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle Application DBA

Hybrid View

Hi

I am working as oracle DBA and nowadays i see lot of req for oracle application DBA. Did anybody tell me what is different between normal Oracle DBA and Application oracle DBA

Oracle DBA and Oracle Apps DBA

Hi Kiruba

Oracle DBA is basically taking care of the database whereby Oracel Apps DBA is taking care of the database housing Oracle Apps and should be able to map the front end of Oracle Apps to the Backend tables and also do some system administration work and also must know the Concurrent Manager and lot of other stuff pertaining to Oracle ERP Suites or Apps

Irfan Khan (Do u remember me)

Thanks for that.
    What special tools do you use for Apps DBA...?
    And how can we start working on Concurrent Managers.
    I didn't find any good documentation on concurrent managers.

Can you help with that.
    Please suggest where to read about concurrent managers.

Harry

Cool SQL Navigator

I use Sql Navigator as a useful tool for DBA issues...

Toad is also good for DBA's.

Hi,
    Any books you can point to from which i can learn the Apps-DBA.Or do you know any courses....
    Help appreciated...

Rgds
    Parag

Wink Application Oracle DBA

Kiruba,
    I think your question was more around 'generic' application oracle DBA. An application DBA is a DBA who supports DBA activities in the context of applications running against the Database. An application DBA analysis the Application logical datamodel and converts it into a physical data model, recommends and implements performance enhancements in the database like indexing, database physical characteristics like PCTFREE, PCTUSED coming more from the application requirements. A systems/maintenace/administrative DBA is one who works outside the application(s) context. Hope that explains.

Quote Originally Posted by apugazh
    Kiruba,
    I think your question was more around 'generic' application oracle DBA. An application DBA is a DBA who supports DBA activities in the context of applications running against the Database. An application DBA analysis the Application logical datamodel and converts it into a physical data model, recommends and implements performance enhancements in the database like indexing, database physical characteristics like PCTFREE, PCTUSED coming more from the application requirements. A systems/maintenace/administrative DBA is one who works outside the application(s) context. Hope that explains.
    To my mind, all DBAs have a requirement to work within the context of the application their database serves. How can you administer a database without understanding the application?
    If I see an advert for an Applications DBA, that to me means they are looking for someone with E-Business\PeopleSoft experience.
    Assistance is Futile...

when u start oracle application services the listener should be up and running? why?