DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recovery from archive logs

Question

Hello gurus,

This is my first message on this site. Please do not disappoint me.

Firstly how r you today ? Hope fit & fine, shining bright.

Well friend to the problem. The problem is i want to implement archive log option.

Iam able to set archiving on. Things are working fine. Archive logs are generated as and when the redo logs are rotated. Now what i want is to be able to recover data from the archive logs. i.e if i have yesterdays backup i.e dmp file on tape drive and from yesterday till right now i have archive logs. Then if i restore yesterdays dmp file i get data till yesterday - RIGHT ?

Friend if i want to recover data available in the archive log that is data available in archive logs since after yesterdays dmp file. How do i do this.

I am sure their is a way to do this other wise why is their and option of archiving your database.

Please help me ASAP.

Also can you help me on replication.

Let me know. My mail id is sac1975@rediffmail.com

Regards,

sack

Seems you are novice on this topic. Choice is yours. Read Backup and Recovery Manual Else keep extending the thread with questions and answers.

I will start with first Q: You recover your database when you delete/loose something by mistake/accidentally. What did you loose ? table/datafile/disk ???
    Reddy,Sam

Thank you pal for writing back..

Good to know that you are willing to talk.

I did read manuals and some white papers but could not get the appropriate help. My question actually is simple.

I want to make use of archive logs to get back my database upto the last transaction written in the archive files.

I have not lost any thing but want to know this. Suppose tomarrow my database crashes and i need to restore the dmp file that is taken ever day . So here if i have taken a dmp file yesterday and database crashed today before taking todays dmp then i can restore yesterdays dmp , if i have archive on then i should also get data till the last moment before crash. But how from archive is what i wanna know pal.

Help men .

sack

Read http://www.dbasupport.com/forums/sho...threadid=25456

Export has nothing to do with archived redo logs.

Export/import is not a backup methodology
    Jeff Hunter

Create a test database, keep it in archive log mode and delete some data just before applying the recovery and see you get that data back after applying the recovery. Your backup and recovery test successfull.

As I mentioned you, it depends upon what you loose. the above scenario when you loose some data... the approach you follow is different for different scenarios.
    Reddy,Sam

Originally posted by marist89
    Read http://www.dbasupport.com/forums/sho...threadid=25456

Export has nothing to do with archived redo logs.

Export/import is not a backup methodology
    I have assumed the dump on tape is hot/cold backup... If he is talking about export dump better he go back to manual than wasting his time here. No Offense
    Reddy,Sam

Originally posted by sreddy

I have assumed the dump on tape is hot/cold backup... If he is talking about export dump better he go back to manual than wasting his time here. No Offense
    I considered that, but whenever somebody mentions "dump" or "dmp" I am betting they are using exp/imp.
    Jeff Hunter

Friend you are getting me wrong,

I need to know the command for recovering data from archive files .

I have a dmp file which i restore . Now i want to restore the archive files which have the transactions done after i had taken the dmp file.

Do you guys know the command to recover data from archive files.

sack

Sack,
    Jeff (marist89) and Sam (sreddy) both asked what type of backup that you performed (Your "DMP"). What type of backup "DMP" did you perform (i.e. Cold Backup, Hot Backup, or an EXPORT(Which is what was inferred from your comments))?

This answer will affect the response.

This makes my head hurt. You have a dump file, by which you mean an export dump file? Is this your scenario: database is running in archivelog mode - you take an export - database continues to run in archivelog mode - at some point in the future, you import the dump file to "re-create" the database - and now you want to apply the archive log files to the database at the point in time when the export was done?

If so, this is so NOT the way to do things. Online/hot backup is what you need to do. THEN you apply the archived log files to THAT backup, not to an exported version of your database.