DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Logging into Oracle via sqlplus takes > 1 minute

Talking

Hi Everyone,
    I'm stumped here and I don't know where to start. Whenever I log into oracle from sqlplus it takes over a minute. Into any schema, with or without the Net Service Name. i.e. scott/user@oracledb

I had modified the glogin file and I reverted to the original one but that hasn't fixed it.

This is Win2K, Oracle 8.1.7.

The are 20MB of free ram, which should be enough for sqlplus and oracle is already in memory 60 megs ram.

Any tips or ideas?
    ora_newbie@yahoo.com

Are you running any other application(s) on the same box which is resource hungry ?

Try tnsping and see the result.

HTH.

Thanks for the idea of using tnsping. Running it shows 30-40 ms response time on the same box. I would think that's ok.

There are a few memory hungry things running, but for the most part they are swapped out to HD space. Since oracle is being used alot, it's still kept in memory.

This is a development PC which is why I have a few memory hungry apps running at the same time, but this has always been the case and it was never slow to login w/ sqlplus.

SQLLDR is also slow. :(

Physical Ram: 256mb
    Available: 29 MB
    Commit Charge aka swapfile: 350MB

I'm closed all the non-oracle apps and see what the login time is and it's still slightly over a minute.

Any other tips?
    ora_newbie@yahoo.com

Are you using any tracing in this database?

Angel

no tracing as far as I know. This is a "default" install with minor changes to the sort space parameter (raised to 4megs) and i dropped the number of connected users to 400 from 700.

ora_newbie@yahoo.com

- Too big listener.log file ? remove and see.
    - Setup one more port in the listener and connect on this port instead. Faster ?
    - Name resulotion method on your client to reach the host specified in tnsnames.ora file ? dns,wins,local hostfile... is this correct ? tnsping shows a good result though.