DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Simple replication question

Thumbs down

Scenario:
    I have 2 9i database instances on a Suse Linux 7.1 server. The projected plan is to have one database as the master and the other is the replicate. The replicate will be used for reports, while only the master will be updated, then propagate updates to the replicate.

What I tried:
    After some reading, I thought setting up a Materialized View Replication is the way to go. Using OEM Console, I tried using the wizards for setting up the target master site, materialized view site and replication users. After completing the wizards, I get no error messages. I look at the tabs for the master and materialized views, but the values are still zero. How do I know anything is working? All I know is that repadmin and mvadmin have been created. Where do I go from here?

Thank you.

Replication is a very advanced topic. Perhaps you should consult the docs...
    yodaDBA@hotmail.com

It is a bit unclear what you are after: advanced replication or snapshot replication. I assume that MVs are enough for you as you will need the second site only for reporting (what is a good decision). But in this case you do not need to create repadmin and mvadmin, etc. Just make fast refreshable MVs on the snapshot site.
    Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com

Yoda, I knew that this replication project was out of my scope of knowledge, but I thought it would be a great way to learn more about Oracle. What way would be better to do hands on R&D work and be excited about this RDMS? I looked around metalink and the ioug website, but there's a lot of old (8.x.x) information on the Replication API. That's why I came here.

I am still poking around and reading as much as I can. The overall process seems very trivial, but I am always missing a step somewhere. Julian, I am after snapshot replication. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I will keep you posted.

Originally posted by peterpkim
    Julian, I am after snapshot replication. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I will keep you posted.
    If you need help, examples on how to create the MV logs and MVs on the snapshot site, let me know. I will post them for you. One of the bases I administer is exactly what you are after. Cheers :-)
    Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com