DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: how to diasable PASSWORD EXPIRE?

Unhappy

I Created a user with option PASSWORD EXPIRE. Now the problem is that the user is annoyed by entering his password day afer day as it get expired when it cross grace period. I want to disable PASSWORD EXPIRE for that user. How?
    i don't think there is any Oracle option as PASSWORD NOT EXPIRE or something like that. Either i have to export the user schema , drop user, again create the user without PASSWORD EXPIRE and then import into this schema. Is there any other easy solution?

Please reply urgently.
    You cannot succeed if you fear to face challenges.
    MAS
    BE(CS) , OCP 8/8i.

Alter that user and assign him to a different profile that has been set the PASSWORD_LIFE_TIME to UNLIMITED. Or alter his profile to set its PASSWORD_LIFE_TIME to UNLIMITED.

Looking at ALTER/CREATE PROFILE and ALTER USER command will give you the exact needed syntax.

BTW, it is very hard to find any correspondence with your signiture (OCP 8/8i !!!) and this kind of questions..... Yes, I'm a little annoying, I know, but I couldn't help myself not to mention this.

[Edited by jmodic on 07-04-2002 at 08:52 AM]
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

This is very easy Mr jmodic and i know that very well , altering profiles is not gonna solve the problem..but the real matter is that in our database , no new profile is allowed to be created and no profile already created is allowed to be modified...As u r saying that i have to assign him a profile in which password life time is Unlimited , but u overlooked that assigning such a profile will give him other resource benefits too. I want to only disable password expire .....Nothing more and nothing less.
    MAS
    BE(CS) , OCP 8/8i.

Well, if you knew all that, how come you've come to the bisare idea that exporting and recreating a user would solve anything?

As an OCP you must know that passord management is strictly related to profiles, not to particular users. You can't create user with or without something you called "PASSWORD EXPIRE" option. You can only control whether password of a user is subject to expiration or not by the profile that is assigned to the user. So if you are not allowed to alter/create profiles, your only option is to explain to your users to stop complaining about that password isue, because there is nothing in this world you can do abot that. No droping and recreating user will help you here, not even close!
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Thanks Mr jmodic, I think you are not getting what i want.

Anyway, thanks for your precious time.
    MAS
    BE(CS) , OCP 8/8i.

Originally posted by asharsidd
    Thanks Mr jmodic, I think you are not getting what i want.

Anyway, thanks for your precious time.
    Ok, I have the feeling that you are not reading very carefully what Jurij Modic is telling you. You have created an Oracle user with the "PASSWORD EXPIRE" clause. You don't need it any more, that's what I get from your questions, right? But this clause is just meant for the requirement that the user will change his password when he first logs into Oracle. This clause is only meant if even the DBA does not want to know the password. After the first login the clause "PASSWORD EXPIRE" has no impact whatsoever. You manage what you want via profiles. Now, it is very infortunate that in your DB you are not allowed to create or modify profiles. That should not be so, how can the DBA control the security of the users without that possibility?

Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com