DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: New OCP requirement & Ref book suggestion

Question

I have some questions about OCP, would you please answer me?

1. do anyone know that the new requirement for taking oracle course applies to 8i track?
    I have read the previous post discussing about this. However, some people said yes but some said no. I am quite frustrated about this. :<
    do anyone ask Oracle about this and get their OFFICIAL reply? or do Oracle give official annoucement in the official web site?

2. If this new requirement does NOT apply to 8i, then i will go to 8i track. Would you please suggest any good books? Sybex or Oracle Press or others?

3. If this new requirement APPLIES to 8i, do u think i should switch to take MS SQL server exam?
    I use SQL server in my work. The reason I study Oracle is that OCP 'seems' to have higher market value than SQL server exam in Hong Kong.
    Also, many people said MicroSoft exam is easy to pass. Employers would think that I can pass the exam by memorizing lots of mock exam answers rather than understanding it.
    But actually I am not so sure the recognition of OCP in Hong Kong is higher than that of MS SQL server.

Thanks a lot.

Hi,

I have had verbal and written confirmation from Oracle University in the UK that the requirement does NOT apply to 8i.

Personally, I will not be taking the 9i upgrade until Oracle review the rediculous idea that one course will provide "real world" experience.

I'm using the following study material

* Sybex Certification kit supplemented with Oracle press books as the Sybex B&R and Net Admin sections are a little sparse.

* Oracle 8.1.6 on Win XP and Linux in addition to 7.3.4 at work.

* Couchman OCP Exam Guide

* Various web sites, notably this one!

Generally, I prefer Sybex as the style is a little easier to read.

I would have suggested Exam Cram as a reasonable supplement but their publisher went bust a couple weeks ago and it seems difficult to get copies.

Good Luck, but remember this doesn't gurantee you a job unless you got some experience to back it up.

Originally posted by ngdh

Personally, I will not be taking the 9i upgrade until Oracle review the rediculous idea that one course will provide "real world" experience.
    Courses at Oracle University have had great value, at least for me. That is the place where you can learn the stuff without having to worry if you make something wrong. I personally gained a lot of confidence at OU, I have tried many things there and afterwards I have had the guts to press ENTER after doing even some crazy things, for I knew that I have tried them in a "real world" database.

About the 9i upgrade: Oracle will soon release new ILTs including the 9.2 features. Accordingly the 9i upgrade will test you also on 9.2.
    Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com

Hi Julian,

I couldn't agree with you more but with some clarification,

The coment you quoted was in reference to Oracle's requirement to take ONE course from a nominated list. This will NOT give experience in the entire product, just on one aspect of it but it does not suggest there is any problem with the courses.

The courses themselves are very good but let's face it they are dammed expensive. So unless you're a wealthy OCP wannabe or have a different kind of finance director to mine, they're not really an option.

The reason I won't do the upgrade is simply my aversion to Oracle's money making scheme which, IMHO, will be seen by the industry as no improvement at all in the OCP value.

Bottom line, if you can afford it or, preferrably, can get somebody to pay, do the courses.

I promise I'll try and stop this ranting in every post but Oracle have annoyed the hell out of me with this one.

Regards
    Nick

They are truly not cheap but same are the prises of all other IT-courses I have attended: Legato, etc. They are meant first of all for companies for whom spending $2000 to train an individual is same as what is for you and me a glass of Jack Daniels at the bar. Well, more or less :-) The company will get back that money 10fold with the knowledge the employee gets at OU.

I have never seen so high level of tuition like at Oracle University. The instructors are top-class and I have been always pleased, almost always extremely pleased. And I have attended almost all ILT courses at OU.

The bottom line is: you pay peanuts, you get monkeys :-)

I agree to continue this debate with the following question: ivy league US universities are expensive, not like in Europe almost free. But you wold not compare a Harvard or Yale graduate with someone from a University degree in Lapland, right?
    Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com

You're right about the pricing structure being intended for companies and not individuals.

I can only speak for the UK, but my company recently paid for two individuals to be trained in PL/SQL program units. One went to OU at a cost of over 1800 GBP and the other went to a third party for 1400 GBP.

Most experienced ITers know the motivational and professional benefits company funded training can give but few companies seem willing to follow that line.

All I can say is that you're a very fortunate guy to have your employer pay for the training.

Easy now with the monkeys thing. I'm certainly not paid a fortune and (looks aside) do not consider myself a candidate for the primates enclosure at the zoo. Hmmm, having said that, I am partial to peanuts ;-).

As to your last point, I would sincerely hope that, in these supposedly classless days, a graduate would be measured on the relevance of their degree, the quality of their grade and themselves as an individual. Harvard and Yale may have the better tutors and richer parents to pay for supplemental tutoring, but do they have the better student?

Basically I'm saying a good student in Lapland may do just as well as a bad one in Yale.

After all that, I've got a feeling that we actually agree.

I don't think the course is needed for upgrade from 8i to 9i. Anyone correct me?
    MCSE/MCDBA, OCP DBA 8i
    Working on SCJP -> SCJD

Originally posted by Prettyman

I don't think the course is needed for upgrade from 8i to 9i. Anyone correct me?
    You are rght prettyman....No need to take any course at OU if you are upgrading to 9i. I myself preparing for 9i upgrade without OU.
    You cannot succeed if you fear to face challenges.
    MAS
    BE(CS) , OCP 8/8i.

Sorry for confusing the issue.

Although I'm confused now. My understanding was if you started the 8i track after the 15th then you could not upgrade to 9i without taking the class. Am I talking rubish here?

I have checked the Oracle site and am not sure either way now.

The more callous of you out there may suggest that if I can't work that out you shouldn't be taking the OCP ;-) (I'm inclined to agree).

Just that my first exam was 17th July so I assume I get stuffed either way.

Nick

Just take your 6 tests to get OCP DBA 8i&9i.
    MCSE/MCDBA, OCP DBA 8i
    Working on SCJP -> SCJD