DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: HOST NAMING

PLATFORM:
    I am usig Oracle 8i (server) on my Windows 2000 server and oracle 8i (client) on Win 2000 Professional.

FINDINGS HOST NAMING:

I am trying to configure host naming between client/server. Below you will find some of my practical exposure to HOST NAMING.

In the listener.ora file the GLOBAL_DBNAME=ORCL.On the client side i configured sqlnet.ora using Net8 Assistant.My SQLNET.ORA looks like

TRACE_LEVEL_CLIENT=OFF
    SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES=(NTS)
    NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH=(HOSTNAME)
    NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN=ORCL # It is the global #database name configured in listener.ora at server.

NAMES.DEFAULT_ZONE=ORCL

Now one more thing, on the client side in C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC there is file named hosts.
    I edited that file as:

#................................................
    #................................................
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

192.168.8.12 localhost
    192.168.8.1 ORCL # Global database name

Now when i connect to database from client sql*plus as scott/tiger@orcl ...I get connected to database server.
    To check that whether client is reading sqlnet.ora, i just changed its name (be informed that it is the only SQLNET.ORA
    on my client)....mysteriously the client get connected with scott/tiger@orcl...without any errors....this implies that client is not reading SQLNET.ORA at all. It is only reading the HOSTS file..how? because when i changed its name..
    i got TNS:Unable to resolve service name error.

The client is reading the server IP address and GLOBAL_DBNAME=ORCL from HOSTS file.This global database name MUST match GLOBAL_DBNAME in listener.ora. Just to check, i did one more thing..in the HOSTS file i edited as:

192.168.8.12 localhost
    192.168.8.1 BOOM # Oracle database server

AND in listener.ora

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
    (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =
    (SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
    (ORACLE_HOME = C:\Oracle\Ora81)
    (PROGRAM = extproc)
    )
    (SID_DESC =
    (GLOBAL_DBNAME = BOOM)
    (ORACLE_HOME = C:\Oracle\Ora81)
    (SID_NAME = ORCL)
    )
    )

I issued this command at client sql*plus:

connect scott/tiger@BOOM
    Now theoretically, i configured right. But practically i got this error:

TNS:Unable to resolve connect descriptor, Service name cannot be resolved.

This implies that it is also not reading GLOBAL_DBNAME from listener.ora but as far as i figured out that it is reading the GLOBAL_DBNAME from server Registry...

CONCLUSIONS:In host naming method, you only need to configure HOSTS file. The global database name will be
    the only service thru which you can connect from client by using host naming.

How far i am correct? Please clarify.

You cannot succeed if you fear to face challenges.
    MAS
    BE(CS) , OCP 8/8i.

Blaise Pascal used to mark with charcoal the walls of his playroom, seeking a means of making a circle perfectly round and a triangle whose sides and angle were all equal. He discovered these things for himself and then began to seek the relationship which existed between them. He did not know any mathematical terms and so he made up his own. Using these names he made axioms and finally developed perfect demonstrations, until he had come to the thirty-second proposition of Euclid.
    C. M. Cox

My Yoda....I liked your response..seemed to me you are much like a philosopher than a DBA. I asked you something to ponder over, gimme feedback but you started giving Aristotle lectures. As far as i extracted from your "idiomatic language" is that i am correct in my conclusions.
    MAS
    BE(CS) , OCP 8/8i.

You are not looking into tnsname.ora all the while.

And the hosts file on Windows is only for TCP/IP host name resolution.

Sanjay

Originally posted by SANJAY_G
    You are not looking into tnsname.ora all the while.

And the hosts file on Windows is only for TCP/IP host name resolution.

Sanjay

No No, i am looking in TNSNAMES.ora and just to check whether it is reading tnsnames.ora...i changed it's name too...But the client get connected to database server by issuing

scott/tiger@orcl

Client is not reading tnsnames.ora.
    MAS
    BE(CS) , OCP 8/8i.