DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: INITIAL extent

Hiiii,any one can help me
    SQL> CREATE TABLE message_LIST AS SELECT * FROM MESSAGE_LIST@DBLINK11.DIGI.COM.MY;
    CREATE TABLE message_LIST AS SELECT * FROM MESSAGE_LIST@DBLINK11.DIGI.COM.MY
    ERROR at line 1:
    ORA-01658: unable to create INITIAL extent for segment in tablespace
    kavitha

01658, 00000, "unable to create INITIAL extent for segment in tablespace %s"
    // *Cause: Failed to find sufficient contiguous space to allocate INITIAL
    // extent for segment being created.
    // *Action: Use ALTER TABLESPACE ADD DATAFILE to add additional space to the
    // tablespace or retry with a smaller value for INITIAL
    Reddy,Sam

Hiiii,thanks
    kavitha reddy
    kavitha

Hiii any one can give exact syntax for altering datafile.
    thanks
    kavitha

Here is the syntax,
    Alter tablespace YOUR_TS add datafile '/u01/oradata/ORCL/df01_01.dbf' size 2000M;

Solution for your problem is to add a datafile , b'coz it couldn't allocate sufficient space needed to create your table.

hope this may help you.

thanks
    PNRDBA

I recommend you

to spend 1or2 minutes why you are getting the error before jumping on to dbasuppport.com and post a thread.

For example say you want syntax: instead of asking for syntax here if you could search on the web for the same it takes 1 min and if you post here and wait and then go thru the link suggested by members it might take 3-5 min ( assuming one of the members respond here instantly). Its not just that you get syntax while going thru the syntax you learn other parameters/clauses and advantages of those parms and how to use 'em effectively... same true with any of the issues/problems/errors you hit day-to-day.

All I'm saying here is do your homework first, then try getting help from outside... 75% of the times you don't seek help from outside, unless you are very novice in that technology.

http://tahiti.oracle.com/pls/tahiti/...?remark=tahiti
    Reddy,Sam

SREDDY is 100% right. I alredy posted the solution for that, still not working?? see, if your OS is linux/Unix, just type at $ prompt : oerr ORA -
    eg:
    $oerr ORA 01658

This gives you the action to be taken.
    seems, The momnet you are struck, just posting the error in the forum, seeking help from others. I suggest you to go for reading in OTN and some other sites like tahiti.com, google search, and then still won't work, then come here.ok.
    Hope this may help you,

Thanks
    PNRDBA