DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sql.bsq

Dear Sir,
    Can anyone tell me how to alter the sql.bsq file to accomodate a larger initial extent in the system tablespace when recreating the database. Also Iam aware that altering this file is not supported by oracle but I need to alter the required parameters in this file so that there is a buffer in the system tablespace's initial extent to take care of the fragmentation issue.

If someone could explain this with the specific portion of the file then it will be better.

Also I need to know if there is any connection with the undocumented parameter ' _init_sql_file ' to this issue.

Thanks and regards,

K.Diwakar

you must be thinking number of extents is fragmentation?!?!?!

-- Dilip

Originally posted by pando

What else do you think??
    Please be clear in what you are saying......

K.Diwakar

Originally posted by patel_dil
    Go Thru this link.

http://www.ixora.com.au/tips/creation/bsq.htm

Your Quote is very usefull.. Thanks and I shall put up my doubts later...

K.Diwakar

more no. of extents do not necessarily mean fragmentation and won't cause any performance degradation.
    You don't really need to worry about SYSTEM tablespace unless you allow other users (except SYS & SYSTEM) to create objects in SYSTEM tablespace.

At all if you want to modify the sql.bsq you can find it in $ROACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin directory. (not recommened though)

Sanjay

Originally posted by SANJAY_G
    more no. of extents do not necessarily mean fragmentation and won't cause any performance degradation.
    You don't really need to worry about SYSTEM tablespace unless you allow other users (except SYS & SYSTEM) to create objects in SYSTEM tablespace.

At all if you want to modify the sql.bsq you can find it in $ROACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin directory. (not recommened though)

Sanjay

Sir,

To some extent I get what you say. But the problem is that many other users other that sys and system have their default tablespace as system which I noticed right now after taking up the job but too much damage has been done and some of the tables in the system tablespace have fragmented to more than 800 extents. That is the main reason why I have raised this question. Also the performance is too slow. Though not recommended, this could be the last option...

Regards,
    K.Diwakar

Hi Diwakar,

As you said you are looking into modifying sql.bsq, that means you have plans to recreate the db. If so I would suggest instead of concentrating on system ts, move objects of other users to other tablespace by export/import. And leave the system tablespace storage parameter as it is. Also make sure that no users (inclusing sys and system) are having system as temporary tablespace.

Sanjay

Originally posted by diwakar

What else do you think??

K.Diwakar
    if you think a high number of extents == fragmentation then it's wrong

Originally posted by diwakar

What else do you think??

K.Diwakar
    if you think a high number of extents == fragmentation then it's wrong

Dear Pando...

I have told you even before and tell you even now as to be clear in what you are saying. I mean that you should give explaination for what ever you are saying. Pls do not give such one line answers.. Iam ready to accept my mistakes if Iam conceptualy wrong but I need explaination for all that. Also learning is a continuous process......

Nothing more....

K.Diwakar