DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Tar Copy and Install

Hi,

I have an oracle database running on a machine1. I would like to copy this installation and put it on machine2 which has similar directory structure. (only thing is I have a client installed in the Home directory).

Is it possible to copy the oracle home from machine1 and put it to machine2. If so what will happen to my client installed on the machine2.

What are the steps involved in doing so.

Badrinath

And your platform(s) would be...?

same platform (Solaris)

Just copying would not work..as there should be entry in the registry regarding oracle home..etc.

regards
    anandkl

anandkl

Registry is not an issue.

When you refer to Oracle home, you mean the ORACLE_HOME where the RDBMS program files are installed, as in /mount_point/app/oracle/product/8.1.6?

When you say you have a client installed on machine two, you mean what is installed there is the client level installation of the RDBMS software? Clients don't run databases; they connect to them (generally speaking). Machine two will not be able to run an instance unless the RDBMS software installation level supports it. In other words, machine two is not capable of being a server.

If you mean copy what is in ORACLE_HOME on machine one into machine two, that can be done. Will Oracle run after that? No. You will have to relink product executables and hunt down lots of other things to make it work. Why not just install (do an admin option of upgrading the software) Oracle on machine two and start from there?

How can u say registry is not a issue.As u said lot of relink to product executable needs to be done..this happens only when u reinstall and the entry gets registered in the registry...

regards
    anandkl
    anandkl

What registry would that be on Solaris/UNIX?

i was all the while thinking of windows....

sorry...

regards
    anandkl
    anandkl