DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oracle dba - 9i book

Hybrid View

hi gurus

Can u please tell what are the best books that can be purchased for 9i - dba iresspective of the O/S platforms.

A Single book which covers all the topic and sample question in detail.

Can u list and throw some light in to 9i authors also.

--Gayatri Selvarajan.

http://www.amazon.com has tons of 9i book, with reviews too

Then, when you find one you like, go to http://www.bookpool.com and save money.

Example: Oracle9i DBA Handbook at amazon is 41.99.
    Same book at bookpool is 36.95.

[Edited by stecal on 06-24-2002 at 06:47 PM]

The web site addresses what u gave i know , but guys whats ur personal opinion when it comes to buying a book.

I read the reviews and some sample pages which are on amazon

Anything by Oracle Press is my last choice. Almost everything in the O'Reilly series is top notch. Expert One-on-One from Wrox is a must have. Sybex OCP books are good for a quick reference after you've taken exams. DBA Bible by Gennick is excellent.

I rely on...
    1.Reviews:A well written book is very important, the more examples the better it is to understand the difficult grammer.
    Graphical representations are also good, sometimes excessive indulgence in prolix verbiage gets boring.
    2.Tips from my friends: (sometimes a book going cheap means/has a lot to do with the new release), tom's book is good(but don't do the herd instinct thing.. If you buy a book make sure that you're gonna try to fully learn all the things that're written in it.. )
    3. Who authors it.
    4. Don't rely on exam prep books: although keeping it in the book shelf instead of reselling it at amazon may be a better option but i'm not sure if the quick referencing is always prudent. I agree that it may be handy.
    5. Be very careful in purchasing , esp cheap combo offers, if you can't find phone numbers etc, check out some consumer website(my recommended is http://www.bbb.org) to avoid any unpleasanr surprizes.
    6. Try to avail extra discounts from your regular shopping place, don't just keep buying them like mad, make use of the incentives.

Tarry
    Tarry Singh
    I'm a JOLE(JavaOracleLinuxEnthusiast)
    TarryBlogging
    --- Everything was meant to be---

Have u guys purchased books on 9i ? any other feed back ?

Cool Oracle Doc

I have about 8-12 books (v. 7 - 8i) sitting on my desk...can't remember the last time I openend it: maybe 3-4 months ago.

The fact is that 9i is so new, and Rel. 2 had so many new changes that a book will get outdated very fast. If you want to learn about the new features, understand the concepts, Oracle Doc. is the best.

I use the Adobe (PDF) version of Oracle's documentation as my first choice. It is detailed, mostly accurate, lots of examples, and easy to search.

Then, if I don't find what I am looking for, I try Meta-Link; or DBAsupport.com.

Don't waste your money - my personal opinion.

[Edited by khussain on 06-25-2002 at 04:36 PM]

The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.
    Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)