DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: SQL Loader with Header & Trailer

Hi all,
    I have a flat file with the following format, In the beginning 1 Header Record, In the End 1 Trailer Record and in the middle Detail Records.

For example See Below
    H……
    D……………
    D……………
    D……………
    D……………
    T……

Now the problem is how I can load into the table? I know I have to use SQL loader and I can load one flat file without Header & Trailer But what if I have every thing in one file? What techniques I will use perform this task.

Thanks in advance
    Aph.

Hi;

This link may give you the answer, it should be possbile to load data conditionally depending on content of the row:

http://www.orafaq.com/faqloadr.htm#SELECTIVE

Orca

Thanks Ora 777,

The website you provide it is really helpful, but if you see my original post, what I need to load Header, Detail and Trailer data. Now the confusion is do I have to create 3 tables one for header, one for Detail and one for Trailer
    OR
    Do I have to create only 1 table but if one table than the content of Header,Detail and Trailer are totally different with each other? This is point where I am confused. Sounds like should I create 3 table and using the conditional SQL*Loader I will load Header data from flat file into Header table, Detail data into Detail table and trailer data into Trailer table, But if this is the case how I can check/condition for Header, Detail and Trailer.
    Example of flat file:

HSONY INC062102
    D001ABC
    D002MNG
    D003GKI
    D004KLM
    T00901287A

First line is Header start with H, Detail lines start with D and Trailer data start with T. (Each line start with tag H, D and T)

Once again I need help to resolve the issue. Thanks in advance.

Regards.