DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: RMAN Backups

We are planning to use RMAN/TDP(Tivoli Data Protector) for backups for our new project.I would like to know what would be the best strategy for this.What we are planning is:

1.A closed RMAN full backup on weekends(We are allowed to shutdown the database on weekends).
    2.An incremental RMAN backup on weekdays.

Now the question is I don't know whether we can have incremental backups with CLOSED full backups.If this is possible then I guess our current stratergy should be OK,otherwise we have to do an OPEN full backup as well.

The bigger problem is managing archive logs.We want to keep the backups of archive logs for a minimum of 7 days and after that automatically delete the previous logs from the diskand tapo.Is it advisable to do this from a Unix script or use RMAN to do everything.What would be the best way to do it.Any suggestions/scripts would be welcome.

We also use RMAN/TDP to do backups. In order for incremental backups to be used, your full backup from the weekend must actually be a Incremental 0. You can do this with the database in mount mode or open (any time you use RMAN, the database must at least be mounted). Why do you want to do it with the database "closed" (mounted)? Any reason you don't want to do the full with the users on the system?

As far as the archive logs go, you can run an rman script that deletes these from your disk and from tape. You can then put it in CRON.

Our rman backup strategy is this:
    - Incr0 every other day, in between we do an Incr1. (It's easy to change the script to do incrementals all during the week though - it's just that our Incr1's take almost as long as an incr0, so we just do incr0 more often)
    - Backup archive logs to tape every night (and also any time filesystem is > 75% full)
    - We delete the archive logs from disk when they are sent to tape since we don't have room to keep them around.
    - Every night we delete the backups/archive logs from tape that are over 2 weeks old

If you would like to see our scripts, just email me at jodie_mellinger@wr.com.

Good Luck!
    Jodie