DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: oracle 9.0.1 on Solaris 9

Hi everyone,

Got a question about Oracle 9.0.1 on Solaris 9

I just installed this on the Sun box. Got the database software installed and a database up and running. Now I am trying to setup the start and stop scripts for the when the machine gets rebooted, etc.

Seems that the scripts are having a problem shutting down the instance (don't know about the sartup yet)., ie. scripts connect but the shutdown command does not get initiated.

Thing is the scripts that I am using are the ones that came with the database ($ORACLE_HOME/bin/dbshut and dbstart). Ones that oracle bundled. I took a look at them and they are old scripts. (go figure). (I also copied working ones from a Solaris 8 machine and those have a problem too).

So does anyone have any working scripts for Solaris 9?

Also, has anyone encountered anything like two smon processes for the same database on the same machine? ie, pid 1400 ora_smon_SID, 1500 ora_smon_SID? I didn't think this was possible. Maybe the machine is screwed but wanted to know if anyone has encountered something like it.

Thanks

Originally posted by ramaral
    Also, has anyone encountered anything like two smon processes for the same database on the same machine? ie, pid 1400 ora_smon_SID, 1500 ora_smon_SID? I didn't think this was possible. Maybe the machine is screwed but wanted to know if anyone has encountered something like it.
    This can happen when you don't have your environment variables setup correctly. You actually start two instances with the same name and different $ORACLE_HOMEs.
    Jeff Hunter

Originally posted by ramaral

I just installed this on the Sun box. Got the database software installed and a database up and running. Now I am trying to setup the start and stop scripts for the when the machine gets rebooted, etc.

Seems that the scripts are having a problem shutting down the instance (don't know about the sartup yet)., ie. scripts connect but the shutdown command does not get initiated.

Thing is the scripts that I am using are the ones that came with the database ($ORACLE_HOME/bin/dbshut and dbstart). Ones that oracle bundled. I took a look at them and they are old scripts. (go figure). (I also copied working ones from a Solaris 8 machine and those have a problem too).
    90% of the time, these problems are due to environment variables not being setup correctly. I would write a script that echos your EVs during startup/shutdown.

Does dbstart/dbshut work from the command line as the oracle software owner? If yes, you've got an environment variable problem.
    Jeff Hunter

actually it does not work properly from the command line.

Very strange.

I also double checked the environment variables and had a second set of eyes check those too. They all appear to be in order too.

Hi,
    As Jeff said,
    check the env..
    script may be pointing to old oracle_home/bin/dbstart and dbshut.
    check the script again and correct it.
    Thanks.
    Thanigaiuvasan.

had done that already and still having a problem.

It's not a crisis situation thankfully. Just curious having this kind of problem on Solaris 9. Guess it's too new for Oracle still. I have also noticed in the alert log something funny:

WARNING: EINVAL creating segment of size 0x000000000f086000
    fix shm parameters in /etc/system or equivalent

I have updated the system parameters given Oracle's specs.

All very strange indeed.

If that is the case where did you give link to dbora scripts...?.
    meaning in /etc/rc2.d or rc3.d???.Give both for start and shut in same place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Try.
    Thanks.
    Thanigaivasan.

Yup. Did that.

Also did it the prescribed way:

shutdown script in the /etc/rc2.d
    startup in the /etc/rc3.d

None of which works. As I said very odd.

Tried to see if there was something on metalink about this and nothing. What they did have was for Solaris 2.6 to 2.8.