DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Difference between 8.1.6 vs 8.1.7 and 8i vs 9i

Hi Guys,

I need some information regarding Differences between 8.1.6 and 8.1.7, 8i & 9i.

Could someone please give me link of Oracle While Papers explaining the above differences.

I'll really appreciate that.

Cheers!
    Farrukh

Although 8.1.7 does contain additional features than 8.1.6 it is essentially 8.1.6 with bug fixes:

Metalink Note - 120613.1

Oracle9i is very different from Oracle8i. You can look at some of the new features at:

http://www.oracle-base.com/Articles/9i/Articles9i.asp
    http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/...a96531/toc.htm
    Metalink Note - 190190.1

Cheers

Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

plus you should forget about 8.1.6 if you thinking of implementing 8i, it is NOT supported

Wink

Thanks Tim & Pando!

Have a great day!
    Farrukh

8i is still supported. Not much longer, not for many people, but supported nonetheless. You can find support/desupport information on MetaLink.

Product Obsolescence / Desupport Information:
    Oracle Corporation announces the end of Error Correction Support for Oracle Server - Client, Enterprise Edition, Parallel Server, Personal Edition, RAC & Standard Edition version(s) 8.1.6 (8i) on the following platform(s): ALL Platforms, effective 31-OCT-2001.
    Oracle Corporation recommends customers upgrade/migrate to the following as soon as possible to maintain the highest level of support: Oracle Server - Client, Enterprise Edition, Personal Edition & Standard Edition/Workgroup Server 8.1.7 (8i) on any Oracle certified platform.

EAS will be provided until 31-OCT-2004, if the customer has a current support contract in place.