DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: XML Processing

Question

Anyone has procedures processing XML documents and populating tables?
    I have requirement and I don't have any one to ask. The reqirement is simple I have a DTD and XML file. Using a procedure I need to load data into intermediate tables and later post it into transaction tables.
    Qs are,

What all Oracle processes I need to have running in NT to do this?
    How to write procedures to do this?

ThanX a million in advance

Raj

Depending on database version you have you need the xml development kit , get it from oracle site, or if you have 8i 1.3.7 or 9i it comes with it by default. Use xml parser and then parse and populate the tables.
    O'reily has a greate book by Munich with bunch of samples and explanation , it's like 40$

there is also 3rd party apps like XML spy, etc that will do everything for you but will probably move data to access or sql server, but then you can migrate it from there to oracle.

writing a parser isn't really hard, metalink also has a bunch of samples, so good luck

Eugene Roytman
    OCP DBA

Hello;
    if you can use the 9iR2 Database; it garantees fastest processing with XML-Documents.
    For example you can load the DTD/Schema into the database so Oracle can validate the Document against the Schema/DTD. The data of XML is stored like the data of table; the tags are only stored one time like a tabledefinition.
    And the dataforamt if the internal XML's is so lo-level taht it can be faster processed then scanning it thru an xml-parser.
    in technet.oracle.com you find many documents for Oracle-XML-Processing.

Orca

Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog