DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ORA-12545 error

Dear all,
    I have a machine to connect to Oracle Database server. Its always give this error messeage whenever I try to connect from SQLPLUS. But I am able to tnsping and ping the database server. Even I have few others PC which able to connect to this database server. Only this particular machine cannot. Is there any other things need to check besides tnsnames.ora and sqlnet.ora ?

TQ!

what is the exact error message you are getting?
    can you post the connect string?

WHat are you connecting to oracle with?

by chance, are you running on a client that has oracle7 installed along with an oracle8 product?

It almost sounds like the connect string is wrong in the application. For example, somehow, the connect string being generated to the database is trying to connect to instance A, which does not exist. You really want it to connect to instance B, which does exist. You can tnsping instance B because it does exist.

This is what normally happens to me. I can choose which instance and machine to connect to with my app. If i choose one of the examples in tnsnames (that does not exist) i get this error.

You also might consider looking for the sqlnet.log file. I think this gets generated when you have an error. It will show you the connect string.

I would also suggest executing a trace. YOu can set sqlnet tracing on a client. This will definitely give you the traffic flow at connection time, thus letting you see what connect string it is trying to do.

document 12101.1 on metalink might help you as well.

hope this helps