DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ORA-12514: tns: LISTENER COULD NOT RESOLVE SERVICE_NAME GIVEN IN CONNECT DESCRIPTOR

Hybrid View

I just created the new database and I have problem to connect to the database from SQLPLUS and it gives me the above error:

I am running 9i on windows 2000, when I do TNSPING, I got the reply back fine but I got problem to log in the database through the GUI.

I know someone will refer me to net assistance which I did but it didn't work, anyone had any advises????

Thanks

make sure your sqlnet.ora and tnsnames.ora files are correct. You most likely have a problem with your client setup.
    Jeff Hunter

Jeff,

thanks for your quick response, SQLnet and TNsnames are correct. The reason I know it's correct b/c after a while to troubleshoot, I used the database configuration assistant to create another database, the new database works fine and I copy the connect string of this database and change the SERVICE_NAME and connect string to the one I have the problem with, but it's still not working.

I am runng two Oracle_home on this box(8i,9i) anything special I have to be aware????

Any other advises???

[Edited by ashley75 on 06-11-2002 at 05:05 PM]

Then you have multiple tnsnames.ora files. Check them both...
    Jeff Hunter

Jeff,

I did check both of the tnsnames, and I have only one for each home

Ashley,
    If I am correct you are running
    1.two listeners from different home...?.
    2.Have only one listener.ora file...(Better have entry for both)
    If that is the case ...Try...starting the listener from 9i $ORACLE_HOME...ofcourse both the listerners....

you are good to go.
    Thanks.
    Thanigaivasan.

the error states that your listener has no service for the connect descriptor you are trying to use so check your listener.ora. Both 8i and 9i and look the listener services

As pando had pointed out, the issue should be on the way the service names had been defined. Check your pfile/initSID.ora file and make sure that the service name in that would match the service name that you have defined in the listener.ora and that of the tnsnames.ora file.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!