DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: average salary with OCP

Originally posted by doraemona
    I find it's a piece of cake compared with developers job.
    I would like to offer you my OPS cake, to reduce a bit the false pinging, how about that piece of cake.

I word of warning, an example: when you passed the P&T exam, you probably thought you know how to tune Oracle, right? The reallity is that in the P&T exam that test very little server tuning, they test the fundamentals, where from everything starts. And I am not kidding you.

As an ex-developer, a must warn you that the piece of cake is the PL/SQL/Forms code-writing, that compared to the daily burdens with the production databases. Interested in more details?

Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com

hi Julian

there is no OPS in OCP exam so I dont need it huh
    I passed OCP exams, I found it a piece of cake so it is my opinion that DBA track is easy because when I took 6i developer track I found it harder

Now, you can call me paper OCP or whatever but I still find dba exams are much easier

Originally posted by TimHall
    Don't Microsoft solution providers and partners require a certain number of certified staff? I seem to remember seeing this somewhere.

It wouldn't surprise me if Oracle start to do this.
    IBM currently has certification requirements for partners.
    David Knight
    OCP DBA 8i, 9i, 10g

pando:

I agree that OCP is not necessary but as I said before, I'd be surprised if you didn't learn quite a bit if you did it. There's always more to know.

So what if people with OCP ask stupid questions. Plenty of people cram for Degrees then forget everything. What's the difference. All this says to me is that these people have less experience of using Oracle. This is not a stick to beat OCP with.

doraemona:

Just because OPS is not in the OCP exams doesn't mean you can ignore it. Chasing bits of paper is not the goal. Anyone can pass an exam given the correct level of effort. The level of effort required is less for some than others. That doesn't make it worth any less.

Cheers
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

Originally posted by doraemona

there is no OPS in OCP exam so I dont need it huh
    There is RAC (= OPS) in the 9i exams.

I passed OCP exams, I found it a piece of cake so it is my opinion that DBA track is easy because when I took 6i developer track I found it harder
    Then you should probably make a turn from a developer to DBA. As you think that DBA stuff is easier. But you probably mean that the exams are easier, not the real work, right?

Now, you can call me paper OCP or whatever but I still find dba exams are much easier
    :-)
    Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com

Hi Tim

As I said, it is a problem of peopleĀ“s attitudes, if they want to learn they dont necessary have to get certify in order to get motivated

Regarding basic questions, first you do is find out yourself in the docs, if you have problem with docs you go to Metalink if Metalink is still not clear we can certainly discuss in the forum. If you have the capacity of passing the exams you have the capacity to find out the answers for the basic questions. At the end of the day how many of us ask everything we know in a forum? Forum is good to learn problem solving since everyone post their specific situations but it is NOT a learning tool!

Well all said and done.
    like the dude who said he didn't need to learn ops as it was not needed for the exam.
    So what're u gonna do when you have to configure an ops ,datawarehousing, and much much more.
    A nice vacancy asking for a dba (with or without certification) will probably be taken by someone who'll stop saying i didn't need that for the exam.
    Everyone wants a good well paying job.. oh yes but on this one i'll agree with pando that a paper tiger all feathered up with certifications ..when asked a fundamental q and you'll say gee i don't know that wasn't asked in the exam.
    I won't take names here but just someone yesterday a "senior member" asked about a very basic Q while if you had practiced enough you'd never ask a basic fundamental Q while otherwise engaging in more complex tasks.
    that's what i guess pando means here, your level of competency(if you had any to begin with) will be going down the drain if you keep flashing your ocp and not learn the technology.

I've said it before and i'll say it again , a senior dba with years of experience without an ocp is definitely an asset and by certifying he'll only make it better for himself.

Certification is important and ok you don't need to exxagerate it by calling it a degree ,i'd say it's better than that.

Bottom line: learn the technology whichever way you can.

Cheers!!!!

Tarry

Tarry Singh
    I'm a JOLE(JavaOracleLinuxEnthusiast)
    TarryBlogging
    --- Everything was meant to be---

Originally posted by pando
    Regarding basic questions, first you do is find out yourself in the docs, if you have problem with docs you go to Metalink if Metalink is still not clear we can certainly discuss in the forum. If you have the capacity of passing the exams you have the capacity to find out the answers for the basic questions. At the end of the day how many of us ask everything we know in a forum? Forum is good to learn problem solving since everyone post their specific situations but it is NOT a learning tool!
    I'll agree 100% on that! And the the pleasure is incomparable when you slogged and solved it yourself, then you may(if you wish to) share it with the forum members.

Tarun
    Tarry Singh
    I'm a JOLE(JavaOracleLinuxEnthusiast)
    TarryBlogging
    --- Everything was meant to be---

I've been an OCP for a few years now.

After the recent downturn in the New York area, people are only looking at resumes with a OCP logo on it.

Lesson 1. OCP works in a tight market like today's

I knew a guy who cleared OCP without looking at the ServerManager.

Lesson 2: Knowledge is irrevalant to clearing an OCP test

Taking OCP made me read all those books which I would not have

Lesson 3: Process of becoming an OCP is more useful than becoming one eventually.

Lesson 4: You dont want to go for OCP unless you have more money (if your company is not paying for it), are not confident of yourselves (some of the best DBA's are not OCP's)

Sridhar R Patnam

Pando:

I agree about people not trying to help themselves. Alot of people seem reluctant to search through the documentation.

I try to double check my answers and provide documentation quotes if I have time. It seems amazing to me that people don't type a couple of words into the search at tahiti.oracle.com before coming to the forum. I need to try more than two phrases to find the answer.

It takes all sorts
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog