DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: average salary with OCP

Don't Microsoft solution providers and partners require a certain number of certified staff? I seem to remember seeing this somewhere.

It wouldn't surprise me if Oracle start to do this.
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

Don't Microsoft solution providers and partners require a certain number of certified staff?

Yes, this is true. In fact 8 years ago I was one of only 7 people in Canada with a MCSE certification. The consultanting company that hired me quickly obtained the MS Solution Provider status after I was hired.

Funny thing is I was hired as a senior business analyst and didn't do any MS stuff, but by having a MCSE on staff was all they needed to get the Solution Provider status.

Gee,
    OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    MCSE

Originally posted by TimHall
    Don't Microsoft solution providers and partners require a certain number of certified staff? I seem to remember seeing this somewhere.

It wouldn't surprise me if Oracle start to do this.
    Oracle does that already probably ages ago

and peeps, I wont name here but just from this forum you can see how many who call themselves OCPs ask really basic questions, those that appears in exams and I wonder if these exams boost your knowledge what kind of knowledge are we talking about?

The problem with many certifications is you can pass them by reading the books, like I said before I know quite a few of these and sometimes I really wonder, so pass the exams and byebye your knowledge?

If you need certification to motivate yourself then fine but it's a problem of attitude. If you are auto-efficient you will try out new features yourself, test stuffs

[Edited by pando on 06-12-2002 at 04:31 PM]

I thought this was a forum for people who support certification and are looking for assistance in achieving this objective from those that have already gone through the process?

I think we all know people who are certified that we wouldn't let near our systems as well as those with years of experience that make you shake your head and wonder how they stay employed.

Certification is like graduating from a credited College/University computer program . You leave with a solid foundation, which if you choose to you can build upon.

Gee,
    OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    MCSE

Hi Trina

In this hard time it's difficult for even a small pay rise so just by holding a piece of cert wont make you earn more money, in fact I dont even think it works that way anymore. It's so easy pass OCP exams that everyone who spend a few months reading can pass it.

I work as developer for almost a year now and I passed OCP DBA track by reading certification books, I was surprised how easy it is! Before I started everyone told me a DBA is a senior job but hey after passing these exams I find it's a piece of cake compared with developers job.

I hold MCSD as well but it is worthless nowdays, everyone can code in VB :(((( wasted so much $$$$ in MCSD

Depending on your environment (like if you are a reseller of Oracle along with apps of some sort) and level of support you want, you may have requirements to have a specified number of OCP whatevers on hand. Silver support, as I recall, requires two OCPs on staff. But who really knows what Oracle requires? You can talk to two different sales reps, and more than likely you will, and get three different answers.

Originally posted by gee
    Certification is like graduating from a credited College/University computer program .
    That's a good one gee, you really crack me up...
    Jeff Hunter

That's a good one gee, you really crack me up...

Oh Please ... if you are going to quote, don't cherry pick a sentence and slant some ones meaning.

Good Bye Forum ... too many attidutues here that don't reflect the real world.

If anyone wants a straight answer, my email is smith_gee@hotmail.com

Gee,
    OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    MCSE

[Edited by gee on 06-12-2002 at 11:58 PM]

Originally posted by gee
    Good Bye Forum
    Jeff Hunter

Originally posted by gee
    I thought this was a forum for people who support certification and are looking for assistance in achieving this objective from those that have already gone through the process?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
    -Bertrand Russell