DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: average salary with OCP

I agreed with Gee. On top of that, if a person really gain his/her OCP without cheating, I think his/her Oracle knowledge worth some value. It is really going to back to a debate of hiring a Bachelor degree fresh college graduate and a high school dude with many years of working experience. Which one do you pick?

some dudes are pretty good academically but professionally are sort of disaster

know a few of these too

Pando:

I used to think the OCP exams were a waste of time. Like most experienced people my main problem was a fear of failing and what that said about me as a DBA. Eventually I took 2 weeks off work to revise and sit the Oracle7.3 OCP exams. That was a very interesting 2 weeks. I passed the exams but I realised I was very experienced in a limited range on skills. The OCP exams opened my eyes to the bigger picture.

Since then I've used the OCP exams as a way of keeping on top of the new features. I think the OCP syllabus is one of the best measures of how well you've understood what the new versions have to offer.

The reason for this brief life history? I think this is where the OCP has value. I think all DBAs, regardless of experience, would learn something by becoming certified. It's very easy for a DBA to stagnate. The OCP track adds some structure to your study of Oracle and stops you avoiding areas.

I don't think paper OCPs make the certification worth less. It's like any exam, it shows a minimum level of understanding. It would be foolish to consider any exam as a substitute for experience. All professional careers require a combination of academic qualifications and experience. The OCP is only one component of a complete DBA.

Remember, it's just my opinion.

Cheers
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

I agree with Tim I have been a DBA for 6 years and only recently decided to go for OCP status (a personal acheivement thing rather than money orientated) I found by studying there was large gaps in my knowledge so I found the process a very positive one.

I think many people approach the OCP with the wrong frame of mind - it is not a guarenteed doorway to riches it is simply confirmation (if you didn't cheat) that you understand the Oracle concepts.

Personally when I employ/interview DBA's I still test their ability (OCP or not!) and experience more definitly shines over a piece of paper.

Regards
    Jim
    Oracle Certified Professional
    "Build your reputation by helping other people build theirs."

"Sarcasm may be the lowest form of wit but its still funny"

Click HERE to vist my website!

Originally posted by pando
    dont want to be a **** but for example I see OCPs in this forum ask really basic questions

and I am not certified neither but I do spend my time trying out stuffs

sometimes I wonder, if OCP can boost you knowledge why there are OCPs ask really basic questions

I am talking about paper OCPs
    Pando,
    We have a new guy in our IT deptt ,who's been asked to leave his parent company (an oracle partner) just because he didn't have certification. And this guy is good!! He's very good in networking.
    The company said "sorry you don't have cert's".

He's working here now earning much lesser and in an IT deptt which is a typical 2nd level support deptt(replying on contracts,outsourcing).
    So end result:
    You have the risk of losing.....
    1. A well paying job.
    2. A proactive environment.
    3. And as a result of the above your level of competency will start waning.
    4. from a point where he is now, his marketibility has certainly taken a nose dive.
    5. And ofcourse a stinging slap to your self confidence.

So any new kid who comes in your company with a certificate might be considered by some management who barely has taken a look at what the uncertified super guru.

It's scary but it can happen.

cheers!!!!

Tarry

[Edited by marist89 on 06-12-2002 at 09:06 AM]
    Tarry Singh
    I'm a JOLE(JavaOracleLinuxEnthusiast)
    TarryBlogging
    --- Everything was meant to be---

I will add something: I have a DBA friend in Wien (not an Oracle friend, but since we are both Oracle guys, we talk Oracle at times too). He started doing professionally Oracle before me, he is very experienced, I have even sometimes asked him for help. He now wants to become 9i OCP. Yesterday, he sent me an email that he can only score 38% from the SQL exams....

Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com

Originally posted by jovery
    Personally when I employ/interview DBA's I still test their ability (OCP or not!) and experience more definitly shines over a piece of paper.
    :-) Jim, experience means: "He has done the same thing many times and he does not need to think when he has to do it next time". Within 6 years of "experience" you might have never heard of, for example, histograms or RAC. Now, be sure, that a 9i OCP knows these things.
    Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com

Originally posted by julian
    Originally posted by jovery
    :-) Jim, experience means: "He has done the same thing many times and he does not need to think when he has to do it next time". Within 6 years of "experience" you might have never heard of, for example, histograms or RAC. Now, be sure, that a 9i OCP knows these things.
    Correct it must be an amalgam of both.
    How you approach to attain your ocp or whatever certification is the important question.and what you wanna do with it after you've achieved it.
    In my opinion certification is important as it says something about you. Giving it a good name or a bad name is entirely the responsibility of the cert. holder.
    Tarry Singh
    TarryBlogging

Ohh reminded me something, do you know that some company then to hire Certed just because of their status? The company can actually tell their clients that they have qualified people to support the product. Value added product.

Originally posted by E-Quality
    Ohh reminded me something, do you know that some company then to hire Certed just because of their status? The company can actually tell their clients that they have qualified people to support the product. Value added product.
    Exactly! Because the client knows nothing else.And he don't wanna know either.
    Tarry Singh
    TarryBlogging