DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the max #

Hybrid View

What is the max # of index a database can have for a single table ???

very interesting indeed

Very intelligent reply.

Very intelligent post, have you read what is the purpose of this forum? Guess not sigh

three cheers to pando....
    by me on behalf of everyone visiting this site for the most intelligent replies posted by him. I think a moderator has more important tasks to his credit rather than posting such absurd replies....

If this is not a place to post questions which many of them may do so by mistake then this is my request to the webmaster to disable posting such questions in this section....

Mr.Pando...once again three cheers to you

The answer to the question is you can have an index for every combination of columns. i.e. If you have three columns: a, b, and c. You can have an index on each field and well as composite indexes on two of the three as well as a composite index on all three. so for a table with three columns you can have 7 diferent indexes. As you increase the columns the posible number of indexes goes up exponentially. Otherwise it is a silly question because most people create only the indexes that they need and no more.

Originally posted by diwakar
    I think a moderator has more important tasks to his credit rather than posting such absurd replies....
    I wonder what kind of tasks? Do you think we get paied or what? LOL

If you cannot read then you have a serious problem

cheers

Hey guys,

Let's face the truth. Our writing and communication skills should reflect the nice salaries and wages we are making. Sometimes, I feel like asking many of the DBA's if they have a college education.

C. K.
    Apps DBA

Well, at first I posted in a wrong forum, just because the system has me sign in, and brought me into this forum,( of course I did not realize that, until Pando mentioned it) So what is the big deal ?? People made mistakes.

Still, Pando answered "Very Interesting Indeed" is not an answer to me. After awhile I noticed a few of Pando responses are the same in other forums. That's why I response the way I did.
    Issue was over, let's dealt with it, we all mature/adult/professional people here .. I assumed . !!

Answer to the question, unlimited. And I agreed that the question is vague and doesn't make sense in real life, and that is my purpose of asking it here, because I have been asked by someone else. But still that is the legitimate Oracle specific question.

Maximum no. of columns per index = 32.
    I don't think there is any limit on maximum no of indexes per table.

Sanjay