DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: System re-boot

Hi Guys,

Our production database(8.1.5) is running on NT box.
    The system was not rebooted for a week(although our database was not 24*7).

Yesterday a user complained he was not able to see the print out for which he as ordered(application level).

So, I was trying to look Printer settings(start-controlpanel-printers) but the start menu was not responding.

Then I re-started the system, then everything went fine.

I am wondering that this is due to the fact that there is no regular re-boot of the server. We are facing this problem for the 3rd time in 40 days.

I want to know why this occurs and how to resolve this problem.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Vijay.
    Say No To Plastics

Your question is not clear. What do you mean by print out. You couldn't invoke the print option from windows menu or your database was not returning any query output. Are you using any application to connect to the database and generate the output if so what was that? I would also check into the alert_log files to check for any ora errors. on such case, please let us know of the error message too to further suggest any possible solutions.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Hi Sambavan,

Thanx for your quick response.

I did check the alert log file, but there was no ora-errors.
    Oracle database is available.

We have developed an application using D2K through which the user's work. One of the module in the application is used for printing.

So when the user tried that he was not getting any output and I tried to check the printer's queue. When I attempted to open the printer's queue (by clicking Start->Control Panel->Printers) the Start menu was not responding.

Once I re-started the system then everything was back to normal.

Hope this is clear.

Thanks.
    Vijay.
    Say No To Plastics

Vijay,

I have had experience running 24x7 NT boxes and they normally do not require regular reboots.

Are you able to check the Task Manager before you reboot?
    This may help you isolate the problem.

You may find that it is the same process causing the problem each time, prehaps the print function within the application needs to be looked at or the other option may be to apply the latest Oracle certified NT service pack.

Hope this helps.
    John

Hi,

What I think is that due to load , your server hangs after some days therefore when u reboot it relieves all the memory and then it works fine.I think when the printer was not responding at the same time ur sql would also be not responding.I think you should upgrade your server config.Do correct me if I am wrong .

Take Care.

Hi,

I would like to add a couple of questions to this.

1. How do I find out the Oracle certified NT version.
    2. I don't think that there is any link between the printer failure and the start button not-responding.
    Even a couple of developers face this problem.

Would it be due to some installation failure. I even tried searching in Microsoft.com, but I was not able to find any entries related to this.

Thanks.
    Vijay.
    Say No To Plastics

WinNT sometimes have the memory leak issue as a result the system would require a reboot. One other thing that I would proceed to check was that is the desig version compatible to the Wind NT that you are running and that for any patches

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!