DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: RAC

HI

The installation has reached the window "Configuration Tools - setting up Oracle Cluster Configuration Assistant" for a long time. It didn't launch a separate window for Oracle Cluster Configuration Assistant. Is this correct? This is my first time installing 9i with RAC option. I check the oracle installation guide & rac guide, it didn't mention about the cluster config assistant. Pls help/advise how to troubleshoot this problem.

rdgs
    Lai

Did you do step 3
    Code:
    3.  Configuring the Cluster using the Oracle OSD Software 

Note:  The Oracle Cluster Setup Wizard installs Oracle9i OSD clusterware and raw device management utilities.  If you do not use Cluster Setup Wizard, then the Oracle Object Link Manager and the raw device management utilities do not get installed until Oracle Universal Installer is run.  Before the Oracle Universal Installer is invoked, it is necessary to configure and name the raw devices using these utilities.  Therefore, this document will outline the Oracle Cluster Setup Wizard procedure.  

If you intend to use vendor operating system dependent clusterware instead of Oracle9i operating system dependent clusterware, then you can temporarily install the raw device management utilities located in the Disk1\preinstall_rac\olm directory.  See the readme.txt for a description of each utility.  See the section "Installing the Raw Devices Management Utilities Manually" in the Oracle9i Database Installation Guide Release 1 (9.0.1.1.1) for Windows for installation instructions.  

3.1 Perform a Final Cluster Check

At the command prompt, run the clustercheck.exe program located in the Disk1\preinstall_rac\clustercheck directory.  This tool will prompt for the public and private hostnames and have you verify the IP address resolution.  If that passes, then it will perform a check the health of the shared disk array and other environment variables and permissions necessary for proper cluster installation and operation.  It will create a subdirectory called opsm in the temporary directory specified by your environment settings (WIN_DRIVE:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp by default) and log file called OraInfoCoord.log.  This log will contain any errors encountered in the check.  You should see the following at the bottom of the log file and within the command prompt window when you run the clustercheck.exe program:

ORACLE CLUSTER CHECK WAS SUCCESSFUL

You must correct any errors that occur before proceeding with the Oracle OSD Software installation.  Please contact your Cluster Hardware Vendor if you need assistance.  

3.2 Installing the Oracle OSD Software 

The Oracle Cluster Setup Wizard performs the following tasks on all nodes: 

Installs and starts Oracle9i operating system dependent clusterware 
    Installs Object Link Manager and starts the Oracle Object Service on all nodes.  This tool creates persistent symbolic links to the logical drives required for an Oracle Real Application Clusters database.  The service updates all nodes when symbolic links are modified, and is set to Automatic startup so that it starts whenever you reboot the node. 
    Preserves existing symbolic link information created by previous invocations of Oracle Object Link Manager 
    Installs other disk management tools on all nodes 
    Adds a node to an existing cluster 
    To install the OSD software, navigate to the \preinstall_rac\clustersetup directory on the Oracle9i Server Installation CD:

o       Launch the Oracle Cluster Setup Wizard by double-clicking on clustersetup.exe.  Then choose Next.

o       The first time the Wizard is run, the only option will be to Create a cluster.  Choose Next.

o       The Disk Configuration screen appears.  Click on the Create Oracle Symbolic Links button.

o       The Oracle Object Link Manager window appears:

1.      From the Symbolic Link column, select an empty row.  The cursor starts blinking. 

2.      Enter the desired datafile link name and hit Enter to save. 

3.      Repeat steps 1 and 2 to assign all symbolic link names required (as outlined in the table in section 2.1). 

4.      Click on the Apply button to commit the changes.

5.      When the progress bar at the bottom of the screen stops moving, choose Close.

From the Disk Configuration screen, assign a Voting disk, labeled as srvcfg, by highlighting the corresponding row.  Choose Next. 
    The VIA Detection screen appears stating whether Virtual Interface Architecture (VIA) hardware was detected.  Choose yes or no depending on your configuration.  Please contact your cluster hardware vendor if you are unsure. Click Next. 
    The Network Selection screen appears.  Choose Use private network for interconnect.  Click Next. 
    The Network Configuration screen appears.  Enter the public hostnames for all nodes.  The private hostnames will be automatically entered as public_name.san.  Change as appropriate for your cluster configuration.  Click Next. 
    The Install Location screen appears.  It will default to the WIN_HOME\system32\osd9i directory.   Accept the default and click Finish. 
    The Cluster Setup window will appear.  This will show the progress with installing the cluster files and creating the cluster services on all nodes.  If no errors occur, the Oracle Cluster Setup Wizard application will complete and close automatically.  

3.3 Check the Cluster Install on All Nodes

Verify that all nodes have the following services running and set to Automatic startup within Control Panel > Services:

o       OracleObjectService 

o       OracleCMService

Verify that all nodes have an osd9i subdirectory in the WIN_HOME\system32 directory.  Also verify all node registries contain the following key:  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Oracle\osd9i.
    Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!