DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: why is the SQL_HASH_VALUE SAME

Hi,

I was running a process which updates a table. It was aborted and the database was restarted.

Today, when I start the program, i get a different SID and sql_address but the SQL_HASH_VALUE is the same as yesterday.

How is SQL_HASH_VALUE linked to a query

Badrinath

Maybe it's me, but your question is confusing. You get a different SID? Were you trying to connect to a different SID?

SQL_HASH_VALUE is the hashed value of the SQL statement (a number or value, so to speak). You can share SQL statements with the use of bind variables, and keep the statement in memory so the query/performance is faster. If someone issues a query that matches the hash value of the same statement used previously by someone else, it cuts down on the work Oracle has to do.

Originally posted by stecal
    Maybe it's me, but your question is confusing. You get a different SID? Were you trying to connect to a different SID?
    SID in Oracle terminology has many different meanings (as many other acronyms and terms in Oracle lingo do).

The original poster obviously refers to a SID as Session IDentifier as it is seen in V$SESSION, for example.

What you are refering to is probably SID as System IDentifier (aka identifier of an Oracle database instance) or Service IDentifier (aka any Oracle service).
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Obviously. My bad. I know SID is in v$session - didn't think of that when I responded.