DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oracle error 1034, 7429

Unhappy

Hai,

I am facing a problem when I am trying to connect to oracle database through a client. It is giving the message as below.

ERROR: ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
    ORA-07429: smsgsg: shmget() failed to get segment.
    SVR4 Error: 2: No such file or directory

the platform is
    os - sun solaris 2.8
    oracle - 7.3.4

If any one can help me out in this regard.

Thanks & Regards.,

naren

( assuming your DB is up and running except the client connection problem... )

Check if you set the ORACLE_SID,ORACLE_HOME to the right values and unset the ORACLE_PATH and give a try connecting the database..

Madhu Reddy
    xdollor@yahoo.com

Unhappy oracle error

dear reddy,

Let me give some more details.

1) The database is in unix environment and the client is windows based.
    2) In the same server two databases are existing. One database I am able to connect through the client. Where as one it is giving the error as I mentioned.
    3) I have simulated by increasing the shmmax value also.
    4) the same set up is available in one more server E450 sun server where both the databases are up and people are able to connect to both the database through their respective clients. I have checked up the oracle parameters at OS level in both the servers. coming to the databases it is the cold backup restoration. I am able to bring up the database and connect to the server through sqlplus.

Now can you tell me still any points I have to check. I tried your method also.
    naren

As I said in my previous post , the whole idea is performance
    rather faster recovery , so i don't suggest JANE to set FAST_START_IO_TARGET unless he wanted to have a 60 sec. recovery...

And my DB(s) is running on 8.1.7 and and the LOG_CHECKPOINTS_TO_ALERT is set to TRUE and we did not observe any performance issue till now.. This parameter will be observed only at every log switch by ORACLE, just to write entries in Alert.log , So if we have less number of log switches , this parameter ( TRUE value ) will do good..

Madhu Reddy
    xdollor@yahoo.com

Malladi,
    Pl ignore the previous post ...its post for some other thread.

OK , did you try TNSPING from your client and working fine , and also you may wish to check the tnsname.ora enties for the same server..

Madhu Reddy
    xdollor@yahoo.com

Unhappy oracle error

Dear Madhu,

I have tried the TNSPING from client. It is OK. But we R not able to connect to database.

I have tried even increasing the SGA and setting the ulimit parameters as per live server. But still it is not getting connected. I have even increased the shared_pool_size in init(sid).ora and tried then also it is not connecting.

regards.,
    naren

Please see that the listener services is started in your server.

Also as u said that u are trying to connect to the oracle from cleint please see ur sqlnet entry, where u have meintioned host, sid,port, correctly.

-pravin

Eat , Drink & Enjoy life -

pravin_kini@hotmail.com

Unhappy oracle error

Dear Pravin,

As I have already mentioned in my earlier message saying that there are two databases on the same server. I am able to connect to that server through client by changing the sid at tnsnames at the client end.

I have created server level tnsnames.ora for this particular database to simulate any listener problem. I have tried tnsping from server. it is ok. but when I am trying to connect to the database through listener it is giving the error.

Regards.,

naren

can u post that eror message

Eat , Drink & Enjoy life -

pravin_kini@hotmail.com

Unhappy oracle error

dear pravin,

the error message is as follows.

ERROR: ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
    ORA-07429: smsgsg: shmget() failed to get segment.
    SVR4 Error: 2: No such file or directory

the platform is
    os - sun solaris 2.8
    oracle - 7.3.4

regards.,
    naren