DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle case sensitive

Hybrid View

Question

Hello,

Does anybody knows how can I change Oracle to be case sensitive?

Thanks

Can you be more specific, what kind of case sensitivity do you have in mind?

If you mean case sensitive with object names, then you must use double quotes arount object names (like table names, columns, ....), e.g. MY_TABLE, "My_Table" and "my_table" can be three different tables in the same schema.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

I now there is a flag which I can change to force the DB to be case sensitive, but I don't now how???

We still don't know what kind of case sensitivity do you have in mind. Would you be so kind and elaborate your requirements?

And BTW, there is no "flag" in Oracle which can make database case sensitive, whatever that case sensitivity might mean. Oracle database is allready "case sensitive" per se.
    Jurij Modic

This i what I find on the net:

"Case Flag
    The case flag, DM_DEFAULT_CASE, determines how Prolifics's database drivers use case when searching for Prolifics variables for holding SELECT results. This setting is used when comparing ORACLE column names to either a Prolifics variable name or to a column name in a DBMS ALIAS statement.

ORACLE is case insensitive. Regardless of the case in a SQL statement, ORACLE creates all database objects-tables, views, columns, etc.-with upper case names. For ORACLE, the DM_DEFAULT_CASE setting is treated as DM_FORCE_TO_LOWER_CASE. This means that Prolifics attempts to match ORACLE column names to lower case Prolifics variables when processing SELECT results. If your application is using this default, use lower case names when creating Prolifics variables.

The case setting can be changed. If you wish to use upper case Prolifics variable names, use the u option in the makevars file for the DM_FORCE_TO_UPPER_CASE flag.

ORA_INIT=u
    If you edit makevars.ora, you must remake your Prolifics executables. "

I couldn't find makevars.ora file. I've NT and Oracle 8.1.7

Oh, so it is about case in database object names.

Well, whatever is written there about various DM_*_CASE and makevars.ora it has nothing to do with Oracle seoftware. It has to do with your Prolifics's database drivers settings. I guess those settings are telling the driver whether it should pass the table and column names enclosed in double quotes to make them case sensitive to oracle like I described you in my first response.

Those settings influence only the Prolific drivers (whatever they are, I have never used them), they have nothing to do with Oracle whatsoever.
    Jurij Modic

Thanks for your support

What I'm trying to do is that I don't want to use double quotes("") when I use sql statements. For ex.:
    select sysdate "System_Date" from dual;
    I want to use instead:
    select sysdate System_Date from dual;
    and the result shold be as I wroted, but Oracle is changed to capital letters if I'm not using double quotes.

Please help!!!