DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Alert Log etc

I have background_dump_dest parameter set to a specific folder but logs are not being generated in that folder. Instead they are being generated in the Oracle_Home/Database folder. Any suggestion is most appriciated. OS is WIN2000.

Thanks,

DK

1. It is possible that you have a parameter file in more than 1 place and your db is picking the wrong one. Check the Registry for something like "PFILE", and see the path there.

2. If everything seems ok, try to start using explicit parameter file argument.

3. Be sure in what conditions are the log or trace files generated. Restarting the DB should generate an alert log.

Pl post after you solved the problem

Could be that your init.ora parameter is invalid.

start sqlplus sesision and issue :-

sho parameters dump_dest.

This will show you the value for background_dump_dest.

if value has changed to what is in init.ora then check you have specified a valid path.

value can be changed with

alter system set background_dump_dest = 'valid path'

[Edited by Sureshy on 05-31-2002 at 10:36 AM]
    Once you have eliminated all of the impossible,
    whatever remains however improbable,
    must be true.

Sureshy,

Sounds like an easy one, I should'nt have missed that one )

boss one doubt

========================================
    if value has changed to what is in init.ora then check you have specified a valid path.

value can be changed with
    alter system set background_dump_dest = 'valid path'
    =======================================

is this limited to session only , meaning that if he logs out of the session whether the changes will still exist.

another thing is if he finds the right init.ora file and makes changes there , and restarts the database then , that would be ok right ?

--pravin

Eat , Drink & Enjoy life -

pravin_kini@hotmail.com

alter system changes the parameter for all current sessions and new sessions thereafter.

alter session will alter the parameter for that particular session only. Any other sessions and subsequent sessions will use the old value.

qury v$parameter for issys_modifiable and isses_modifiable, this will tell you if value can be changed dynamically.

You are correct in that if user enters a valid path in init.ora and bounces database, there is no need to do this.
    However, you can't just keep bouncing a 24*7 database whenever you feel like it.

Once you have eliminated all of the impossible,
    whatever remains however improbable,
    must be true.

Thank you everyone. Good tips. I have not been able to solve this issue yet. What could make a path invalid?? Every thing seems to be fine but no positive results. I will post once I find the solution.

Thank You All.

Now I have the solution. I moved files from one machine to other and used a CD and made the distination directories read only in this process!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!