DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Indexes

I have imported a huge database from SQL Server 7.0 to Oracle 8.1.7 and I want to create indexes,but I don't know much about it.
    Can somebody suggest me something?
    should I create unique index for primary keys and that's all,or should I create another type of indexes for more data?
    Thanks

Hi,

It is advisable (but not essential) to have a primary key on the table but as fro other indexes it really depends on how you intend to use and access the data.

You need to review the types of access you are likely to incur and then review your index stratergy. If you are only indending to access data by a primary key value this index alone will be sufficent.

Regards
    Jim
    Oracle Certified Professional
    "Build your reputation by helping other people build theirs."

"Sarcasm may be the lowest form of wit but its still funny"

Click HERE to vist my website!

Hi,
    As told by our friend,the need for the index really depends on the data access pattern used by your application.If your data is evenly distributed and has high cardinality and the application is experiencing heavy DML activity then create a b*tree index .Also ensure that the overhead of accessing the index and then reteriving the data is less when compared to perform a full table scan.As the main purpose of index is to provide faster data access in the table.And any index look up should result in fewer index block read and result in faster data reterival from the table.

hope this helps u

regards
    anandkl
    anandkl

Thanks very much!
    Can I create b*tree index with my DBA Studio?
    Otherwise,what's the best way?