DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Can you give me some userful experience on 9i?

Hi: In my new project, we decide to use Oracle 9i,but I only have experience on 8/8i, I know that 9i is much different from 8/8i, Can you give me some userful experience on 9i? Thanks !!! Xiong

Take a look at these articles. They'll give you an idea of the differences:

http://www.oracle-base.com/Articles/9i/Articles9i.asp

I've used 9.0.1 running on Windows2000 and RedHat 7.2 servers in development environments. In both cases I found the product to be very stable, quick and much easier to manage than Oracle8i.

I recently switched to 9.2 on Windows2000 and RedHat 7.3 servers and was very pleased with the results. It may be a coincidence but I seem to be seeing less CPU spikes and it doesn't seem quite so resource intensive as 9.0.1. I struggled to run 9.0.1 on my crappy old laptop but 9.2 seems to run with no problems. I've not used this version long enough to give you any indication of reliability but so far so good.

I'm advising my customers to make the move to 9i Release 2 as soon as possible. Most production environments take several months to upgrade when you consider the planning and testing phases. The sooner you start the sooner you can get to grips with the new features.

Cheers
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog