DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Win2k Server and 8.1.6 revisited

Smile

I know there are several posts on here related to Windows 2000 Server and Oracle 8.1.6, but I still have not found anyone with a definitive solution.

To revisit the problem... I have Oracle 8.1.6 rel 2 installed on Windows 2000 Server. I have services for each db on the system. When I start the server and the services are Automatic they never start. The status states "starting..." I set them to manual, but when I try to start the first service it fails. The second and third start with no problem. I have tried to start them in different orders, but regardless of what sequence I start them in the first that I attempt to start always fails and the other two start. I have deleted the service and recreated it for each. Still the same problem. However, when I delete a service and recreate it, the service starts immediately after it is created with no problem and the other two start with no problem as well. But once again, when the server is rebooted I return to the same issue. Has anyone been able to resolve this on Win2k Server?

Things I have tried:

1) reinstalling the OS
    2) Service Pack / patch Win2k
    3) reinstall Oracle
    4) delete and recreate the services

The machine is a PIII with 1.26 Ghz processor, 1.2 GB RAM and two SCSI 18 GIG hd's running Windows 2000 Server and Service Pack 2 - Oracle 8.1.6 SE rel 2 (just incase anyone thinks this info will help).
    Kevin Bolick
    Network Administrator
    Wieland Electric Inc.
    kbolick@wielandinc.com
    www.wielandinc.com

Anyone?

Can anyone help here?
    Kevin Bolick
    Network Administrator
    Wieland Electric Inc.
    kbolick@wielandinc.com
    www.wielandinc.com

Cool

One thing which comes to my mind is to check in the registry
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->SOFTWARE->ORACLE->HOME-> ORA_SID_AUTOSTART should be true.

Also if Win service fails it should be an entry in the Event Log. What does is say, if any?

Hope that helps,

--clio_usa
    Senior Oracle DBA
    Oracle DBA Forums: Click Here