DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Should I create another schema or not ???

Hi,

DB Version 8.1.7.0.0

I have a database with a schema called "R2". The default tablespace for this "R2" schema is "USERS" which is dictionary managed.

This is the central schema of our database where all the tables reside. We have created public synonyms of all the objects in this particular schema and have granted rights to other database users/schemas on the objects owned by "R2".

The other users are also created on the tablespace "USERS".

Now we are adding a new application which will have some of its own tables (which no other application will use) and will need to use some data from current tables residing in R2 schema / USERS tablespace

Now these are the options I have

1. Create the objects in R2 schema and USERS tablesspace
    2. Create the objects in R2 schema and create a new Dictionary Managed Tablespace and place the objects there.
    3. Create the Objects in R2 schema and create a new LMT and place the objects there.
    4. Create the objects in a new schema and create a new Dictionary Managed Tablespace and place the objects there.
    5. Create the objects in a new schema and create a new LMT and place the objects there.

Please suggest which is the best option.

Please note that at the moment I do not have any LMT in my database.

Thanks

[Edited by ronnie on 05-22-2002 at 06:03 PM]
    Ronnie
    ronnie_yours@yahoo.com

You can if you think you can.

If its independant of the R2 tables, I would put it in a seperate schema. I wouldn't even consider DMT.
    Jeff Hunter

Originally posted by marist89
    If its independant of the R2 tables, I would put it in a seperate schema. I wouldn't even consider DMT.

Its not totally independent of R2 . It needs to access some tables ( 5 or 6 out of 70).

Ronnie
    ronnie_yours@yahoo.com

Ronnie,

How are the tables in the r2 schema being refered to by the new application? schema. tablename? if so then you can create a second schema as suggested and just grant privleges on the tables that need to be referenced. If not I would still create a second schema and create sysnonyms for the objects in the r2 schema and just grant the needed privs. on only the needed tables.

Hope that helps.....

Frank

The application is still in the design stage. But we will be using synonyms and would grant access to only limited tables in R2 schema.... but this would be required only if we go ahead with a new schema for the application.

Thanks
    Ronnie
    ronnie_yours@yahoo.com