DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Two Databases on a Server

Question

Hello all,
    I have a small problem.I want to have two Oracle databases on my Server.I have created two databases.but i want to know what i have to do so that client can access my both databases from Client computers.Do i need to have two listeners on my server.How i will start two databases simultaneously.I am Oracle 8i on Win NT server.I think my problem is understanable.Thanks.

One listener is enough. I use only one listener on servers having two databases. But of course for several reasons you may want to have two separate listeners.
    Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com

Nope!
    One listener is enough!
    I have not read anywhere any limit set to the no# of db's on one server(besides ofcourse the physical limitations that your box may encounter).
    On the client side configure the tnsnames.ora thru(preferably) the net8 utility.

hope that'll help.

Cheers!

Tarry
    Tarry Singh
    I'm a JOLE(JavaOracleLinuxEnthusiast)
    TarryBlogging
    --- Everything was meant to be---

One listener is more than enough. What you need to do is make an entry of these two databases in the tnsnames.ora file on your server as well as on the client pcs' so that they can see the two databases. You can configure tnsnames.ora file using the Net 8 Configuration assistant or manually editing the file under ORACLE_HOME\network\admin\tnsnames.ora.

Hope that helps.

pst

There are probably two good reasons to have two separate listeners for the two databases:

1. Providing redundancy if one fails. You make something which requires the listener to be stopped and started. While restarting the primamry listener the users can connect to the backup. You see, often listener.log grows real fast. Can become in some months 50M. You deleted it, remove it, whatever. In order a new log to be regenerated, the listener must be stopped and then started. If you do not do that, the new file will not be automatically generated by Oracle (unlike the alert.log).

2. Separation of enviroments. Say you have PROD and TEST on teh same server. You are playing with the TEST listener. There will be no damage done in PROD.

Anyway, I personally for just one listener. Have other things to worry about :-)
    Oracle Certified Master

Thanks for reply.but my major problem is to start the both databases simultaneously.On Win NT machine i have two services created automatically by the name of two databases,namely oracleserviceorcl,oracleservicemydata.waht these services signify.i have set these services to startup automatically.When i start the machine,i get one the database running,i can access its data.but not the other.when i try to start it manually through startup pfile=pathof init.ora file for other database.it give error ORA-01102,i.e database can't mounted in Exclusive mode.so whats the problem.
    Thanks once Again.

change remote_login_authentication=shared
    and then log in!
    Tarry Singh
    TarryBlogging
    --- Everything was meant to be---

After you have DB1 up and running, open DOS Prompt and type: SET ORACLE_SID=DB2_SID. Then start SVRMGRL and startup pfile=... That in case DB2 is not up and running. How do you connect to the DBs? connect tiger/scott@DB1?

Oracle Certified Master

Originally posted by Tarry
    change remote_login_authentication=shared
    and then log in!
    i'm sorry here i meant
    remote_login_passwordfile.
    Apologies!

Tarry
    Tarry Singh