DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Forms Runtime

One of the apps here wants remote customers to install Forms Runtime. We will need to figure out an installation strategy.

I suggested Web Forms as an alternative to avoid the distribution headaches. The app manager informed me that with Web Forms, it is not possible to write to the client file system.

Does anyone have experience with a workaround?

Thanks in advance.
    David Knight
    OCP DBA 8i, 9i, 10g

I don't know enough about your problem, but I do know that with Developer 6.0, you could install just the forms runtime component on a client machine (it was version 6.0.5.28 or so). With 6i, you lost that option - you get everything under the selection/level you choose on the installer window.

Oracle has had TARs submitted about this - they have no plans (as far as I know) to "fix" 6i and later releases so you don't have to load up a client with unnecessary files/components.

That is very valuable info.

Do you know how to allow the WebForms to write to the file system of the client?

That would convince the apps manager to abandon the Forms Runtime installation.

David Knight
    OCP DBA 8i, 9i, 10g

No, but I'm sure there is something that can be set (Registry, environment variable, or html configuration file) that will direct output to the client.

Something we did for output was to use a shared path on our UNIX file system (saving drawings, reports, etc.) that was configured via code and the location was set in a configuration file.