DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle Certified Master

Does anyone have any input on the Oracle Certified Master program? Looking on all the job websites, I have yet to see anything for this credential and am wondering if it is even worth pursuing. What kind of salary range could be expected upon completion of this program? Is this just another way for Oracle to make money or does it have any real world value?

Thanks!

Originally posted by soestx
    Is this just another way for Oracle to make money or does it have any real world value?
    In today's paper OCP and MCSE rich environment, I question the real world value of any certification.
    Jeff Hunter

Soestx,
    certification is [B] also[\B] a major part of your career plan leave alone who's making money.
    Personally i feel it's too early to comment on what exactly would you be professionally(maybe someone like julian can explain at large) to get an ocm.
    I mean if oracle wants to mint money, they got better ways i'm sure.
    I guess professionally it'll reflect in a 2 yr time or so what an OCM worth is following wrt the price on it.
    Tarry Singh
    I'm a JOLE(JavaOracleLinuxEnthusiast)
    TarryBlogging
    --- Everything was meant to be---

Soestx,
    certification is also*** a major part of your career plan leave alone who's making money.
    Personally i feel it's too early to comment on what exactly would you be professionally(maybe someone like julian can explain at large) to get an ocm.
    I mean if oracle wants to mint money, they got better ways i'm sure.
    I guess professionally it'll reflect in a 2 yr time or so what an OCM worth is following wrt the price on it.

*** sorry i wanted to emphasize on also only!
    Tarry Singh
    I'm a JOLE(JavaOracleLinuxEnthusiast)
    TarryBlogging
    --- Everything was meant to be---

OCM does not directly relate to higher salary. But, being notied as one of the best by taking a practical test has to be worth something.

I am just wondering what the practicum test is going to be like. A $2000.00 (US dollar) test for two days? That could mean a test on just about anything in/related to Oracle.

I want to wait for someone to actually take the test and comment on the difficulty level. I heard from a person inside of Oracle Education that they expect a 75 - 80 % fail rate for the OCM practicum test. I don't know if that is hype/marketing or whatever.

[Edited by eyen on 05-17-2002 at 12:44 PM]
    E. Yen
    OCP DBA 8, 8i, 9i

No matter how confident a person is about their skills I can't see many people/companies being willing to pay $2000 for an exam knowing there is a risk of failure.

If Oracle offer companies some incentives this may alter things a little.
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

Originally posted by TimHall
    No matter how confident a person is about their skills I can't see many people/companies being willing to pay $2000 for an exam knowing there is a risk of failure.

If Oracle offer companies some incentives this may alter things a little.
    I agree with Tim. One of the first questions your boss might ask you is something like "How can an exam costs 2000 dollars?"

Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com

$2000 toward training, books, laptop, or software seems like a better value for the $ if it were my money.

David Knight
    OCP DBA 8i, 9i, 10g

Well, my company has paid for CCIE exams which I beleive are $3000, so it probably wouldnt be too hard of a sale. And the purse strings were just recently opened up for training, so I have to find something to spend the DBA share on.

But, after hearing most of your comments, working on the OCM probably isnt worth the torture. At least not yet.
    Steven
    soestx@aol.com
    OCP DBA 8, 8i; MCDBA; MCSE

It depends of course on the company. But $2000 seems a bit too much just for an exam, right?
    Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com