DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: where did it go?

I am attempting to install Oracle 8.1.6 Enterprise Server on NT 4SP6a PIII 512 MB of Ram. Nothing is running in the background... The installer starts up fine... but at about 10% it just dissapears. I tried removing the registry keys and directories and restarting and it happend 4 times so far. I also thought it was the P 4 issue with the symcjit.dll file so I renamed it and launched the setup.exe from the win32 directory and it still happens. I'm stumped any suggestions?

No antivirus or system monitoring aps are running.
    Chester Ney
    CODY Computer Services
    System DBA

Some help

You can try the following option's

1) Try running Oracle on another machine and confirm that the CD is good .

2) copy the CD to a disk and then Install

3) make sure that your NT OS is not a bad Image copy

4) check RAM and virtual memory settings

5) make sure you are the ADMIN for that machine .

Check these things and let's take it from there

Thanks

I'll try these items and see if it resolves the problem.

I'm logged in with a user that has full admin privledges.

Should I log in as Administrator directly?

Chester Ney
    CODY Computer Services
    System DBA

Do you have Developer 6.0 or Forms & Reports 6i installed on this machine? If so, check the setting for ORACLE_HOME at that window when the OUI brings it up. You should not be selecting DEFAULT_HOME because that refers to the "ORANT" product, not the RDBMS (6.0/6i probably installed under c:\orant or d:\orant - that's where the "orant" comes from).

It closes saying "Installing Products for" with the progress bar at 10%.

I am logged on as admin, and the only other apps installed on the hard drive are omni form pro, microsoft office and the powershute plus management software.

It is indeed installing into it's own directory (g:\Oracle)
    Chester Ney
    CODY Computer Services
    System DBA

Nope

Just make sure that you are logged in as a user who has admin Privileges for that machine

Copy to a disk and then try installing

I've been installing from disk the whole time. I also tried it from the CD just to eliminate this possibility.
    Chester Ney
    CODY Computer Services
    System DBA

I've been running Oracle 8.05 on this machine for almost two years with no issues. I just uninstalled it this morning and went to perform a routine install/import. I completely removed 8.05 from the machine and deleted the registry keys.
    Chester Ney
    CODY Computer Services
    System DBA

Try cleaning out the registry of Oracle (hk_local_machine/software/Oracle) and unsetting any environment variables and paths.

This problem happens when your PC "remembers" other attempts to install Oracle. Sometimes you have to go all out (total search and destroy mission for anything related to Oracle) to clear the system.

I've already removed the registry keys and deleted both the c:\program files\oracle and g:\oracle directories as well as the g:\orant directory. The services were complete stopped and dissabled.

Chester Ney
    CODY Computer Services
    System DBA