Hi folks,

Here is the situation: we have been asked to install Oracle9i (9.0.1.1) on a windows 2000 professional machine on a p4 architecture. Yes a lousy P4. It has a gig of ram and a 60 gig HD.

As usual on a P4 installation of Oracle9i the OUI hangs. I renamed the 2 symcjit.dll files and OUI still hangs. I made sure the user that was doing the install had administrator rights on the machine and yes it does. I tried to install the OUI patch that Oracle has for P4 machines (p1507768_171_WINNT.zip) and it fails. The machine even had the Intel Chipset Utility software installed to help programs recognize the chipset but that did not help.

I tried the install several times with each time cleaning out the old files and cleaning the registry - no luck. I even made sure that the display adapter was running with at least 256 colours (I got burned on that one on another install a couple of years back with Oracle8) and still no luck.

Other than reformatting and reinstalling the OS and trying again on a clean machine I have no ideas.

Does anyone have any other possible solutions to this problem? Just hoping someone has encountered something that I may have missed.

Thanks.