DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: connect login puzzle

I have just installed a newOracle 9i database and have set up a new user with DBA role using Enterprise Manager.

When I start SQL*PLUS, I can initially log in as the new user. If I use the command "CONNECT " and enter the password, it denies me access, saying "invalid username/password". Yet I initially logged in as that user.

If I enter the CONNECT command to log in as system/manager, it connects fine.

What could be going on here?

connect password is not correct syntax. Try connect username/password.
    Jeff Hunter

avoid use connect username/password, better connect username and enter the password when sql*plus asks you

Solution

It seems that I needed to supply the database name, it was trying to log me into the repository (I think), even though I originally logged into my database. When I used:

CONNECT user/pw@database I logged in OK.

Normally I don't need to do that. Not sure why this time.

Thanks,

-Randy

well is the repostory in the same server as your original database? is the repository in the same instance as your original database? you are connecting locally if you are not giving connect string
    the error is telling you it is trying to connect with local databaase if your repository is not there then obviously you get invalid password