DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: PROD DATABASE PASSWORD CHANGE

Hi,
    We are planing to change our production database password. Our database is in archivelog mode.

Can we change the password while the database is up running
    or do we shutdown, change the password and bouce the database for the effect?

Please advise
    Thanks
    Arsene Lupain
    The lie takes the elevator, the truth takes the staircase but ends up catching up with the lie.

What is the database password ? Are you changing password for some user like SYS , SYSTEM or any other user. These is no need to bounce servers when you change the user password.

Sanjay
    OCP 8i

changing password is simple and easy, I dont understand what makes you think a bounce would be required but there is no such requirement

imagine a user comes and says he wants to change the password, if I have to bounce for that first thing I do is throw Oracle to the toilet and change my rdbms software

any reason?

Thanks
    It was just what the network admin let me to believe.
    I told him that It does not require shuting down and bouce the database. His response was that when he tried he did not take any effect.
    You just confirm my thought.
    Thanks again.
    Arsene Lupain
    The lie takes the elevator, the truth takes the staircase but ends up catching up with the lie.

ohh lord.....gracious....i cant believe someone is handling the DB and is asking such a question........WE SERIOUSLY NEED PRAYERS.

Originally posted by nach
    ohh lord.....gracious....i cant believe someone is handling the DB and is asking such a question........WE SERIOUSLY NEED PRAYERS.
    he may be new in this field man, give him the answers -

any way, Ablakios, if u want to change password of any user just type PASSWORD after connecting to that user. it will ask for old and new password. supply.

same for SYS.

you can delete and create the password file for internal

Santosh Jadhav
    8i OCP DBA