DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: SQL Tracing problems

I have trouble understanding/using SQL Analyze and SQL Trace in Oracle 9, 8 Enterprise Manager.

It doesn't seem to want to display the SQL that I am running in SQL*PLUS. I have seen it occasionally in SQL Analyze for Oracle 9.

Is there some good explanation or experience anyone has to offer on using tools for tracing SQL? I'm not even interested in performance tuning yet, just seeing the SQL being sent to a database by connected applications.

Check v$sqlarea for SQL that is executing.
    Jeff Hunter

use TOP Sessions in performance pack and see if you can track the SQL statements

Partial success

In Oracle 9, SQL Analyze has started to show some SQL (after using update menu). Unfortunately, it can't sort it chronologically, which seems like an unfortunate omission for debugging.

In Oracle 8, I can't get SQL Logging to put anything in the window (from the Enterprise Manager | Navigator | View SQL Logging menu).

I will experiment with "oracle_trace_enable = true" in the init.ora file, but I'm not sure it is relevant.

Has anybody gotten this to work or do anything?

Thanks,

-Randy

Top Sessions Performance Pack

How do I access the Top Sessions in Performance Pack?

I make a pardon, that is in Diagnostics Pack

I have been using a great application called TOAD. I recommend it highly. You can get a free/trial version with restricted functionality from http://www.quest.com
    You need the DBA Module to achieve what you require.
    For example you can check what sql any user is running on your database and get an instant explain plan for it.
    It really is a great tool ( saves me so much time! )so I dont mind giving free advertising for it.