DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Multiple buffer pool

Does anyone use buffer_pool_keep and buffer_pool_recycle? Do you experience any performance improvement? What is the populatrity of using the multiple buffer pool?

Susan

A book by Donald Burleson ("Oracle Internals") has several chapters related to this subject (the book is a compilation of articles, white papers, etc. from many people). Whether or not to pin packages owned by sys, for example, depends on how you use your database (among other things). Is there a definitive answer? Depends on who you talk to.

Originally posted by srlhome00
    Does anyone use buffer_pool_keep and buffer_pool_recycle? Do you experience any performance improvement? What is the populatrity of using the multiple buffer pool?

Susan
    I use buffer_pool_keep. I find buffer_pool_recycle too messy as a concept. The performance improvements are small.

Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com

From 8i onwards the database buffer cache is divided into default pool,buffer pool keep,buffer pool recycle.
    Buffer pool keep is basically used to pin blocks which are being used frequently so that they dont get aged out or removed from the database buffer cache by DBWR for want of space in the buffer cache for new block being read.
    Similarly buffer pool recycle is used to pin blocks that are less freqently used so that they dont compet for space with other frequenly used blocks in the database buffer cache.

regards
    anandkl
    anandkl