DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How to Install Multiple O/S&Oracle on a Single system

Dear Friends, 10th OCt 2001 20:12 hrs Mumbai

There has been always great interest and enthusiasm among software professionals playing around with there system at home to install oracle on Various Operating Systems(O/S).

So the Question arises should i have multiple system for the R&D for the self at home ?

The simple answer is NO .

You can install Multiple O/S in a single PC you have at your home with oracle for the same according to O/S wise oracle releases the same.

In real time scenario there is very less chance Organizations installing multiple O/S and Oracle on a Single system.

Any how those who are interested in doing the R&D can follow the following steps to install Multiple O/S and respective Oracle installations.

First i will tell you how to install Dual O/S system to avoid confusion then later with Multiple O/S installations.

Here goes steps if you paln for Dual O/S on same system.

System Formating and Partitioning the Disk
    ============================

First we are going to see how to Format and Partition a existing system.

i.Boot the system with win95 or 98 boot floppy

ii.Go to boot up sequence in set up set from boot from floppy.Quit.

iii.type fdisk===>choose N or Y (read it)

iv.Remove the existing partitions and create a new partitions as Primary DOS partition 2000MB(exact) and extended DOS partition of 6000MB(exact).Automatically logical drives are created so divide all in to equal 3 Logical drives of size 2000MB each.

v.Format all the drives i.e c:,d:, e: and f: and copy system file to c:===>sys c: from a:

Note:Solaris should be the first installation and followed by win2000.The reason for insisting a partition size not above 8GB is you may later have problem while installing eventhough that can be handled well inside.Initially as far as i have seen is not accepting a partition size of more than 8GB on Intel system.

The logical drives created based on the extended partition is on which solaris is going to sit on.Dont worry about the 12 GB of HD space which after installation of Win2000 can be recognized through

windows start up==>Administrative tool==>Computer Management==>storage==>Disk Management

Solaris Installation
    ============
    I. Now boot from solaris boot floppy and in CD ROM insert the Solaris 7 CD.Dont worry about boot up sequence to be set at CD-ROM, let it be Floopy drive as previously said above.

II.Now the solaris installtion will run for around 60-90 minutes time.During the process it will identify your system components and if required you can change default values some of them like mouse etc.Which are very very simple.

Choose suninstall and proceed.

Note:Give proper port for mouse while installing.
    Choose during the installtion the solaris partition the 6GB of HD space.

And while installtion you may find lot of things which may not have been mentioned here which should be interesting for you to guess and evaluate based on your exp to choose and you can do that easily.

III.Yes now it will ask for pwd for root and it will prompt twice for confirmation.You can also set the same after log on .

IV.yes atlast you have seen the solaris CDE on your screen.Try to open "console" and play round .

V.Now come out from solaris by issuing init 0(shutdown) or init 6 for rebooting.

Intermediate steps before starting for Windows O/S installation
    =================================

I.Now boot the win boot floopy once again and by typing fdisk you can go to view the partitions.

II.Now you can see only 2 partitions one Pri Dos part and another Non-Dos partion which is nothing but logical drives on which solaris has installed.

III.Now change the Non-Dos Partition ACTIVE to Prim Dos Partition as active.

IV.Now change the boot up sequence from CDROM(instead of Floppy)

Windows2000 O/S installation
    ===================

I)Insert the win2000 cd into CD Rom drive and complete the installtion.

After Windows O/S installation steps to be followed
    =================================

I)Once again after the win2000 successfull installation boot from win boot floppy change the ACTIVE partition to Non Dos Partition so that BIG DOS screen will appear on which you can choose whether you want to log on to Win2000(normally option ==>1) or solaris(option==> 2).

II)Default it will go to solaris after less than a minute.

Note:

You can also install 4 o/s say sun solaris ,Linux,Win2000 and win98 or 95 on the same system but the seq will little bit change.

How to Install Oracle
    ==============

I)Go to the respective O/S and try installing oracle for the same-Oracle Provides free download from http://www.Oracle.com for OTN members for different O/S compatible oracle versions.

More than 2 O/S installations
    ===================

Here are some little additions to the previous Dual o/s to multi o/s installtion.

For LINUX
    =======

First 2 o/s(sun and win2000) as said previously .
    After completion go the Disk manager identify the left out space in the HDD.

Allocate 4 or 6 GB of Partition seperate for LINUX installtion and also format it .

From win2000 run the Red Hat Linux o/s this Linux 7 is very easy process.I heard previous version it was little bit more difficult.

Note:The Sun o/s master boot record will be removed upon the Linux installation.

No need to worry at the next boot up the system wont boot up and stranded.Now insert the solaris boot floppy and go ahead.Now choose which o/s to proceed.

Now 3 o/s is over.

How to install win95 or Win98.
    ===================

After the sun o/s installtion first install win95 or 98 in c: drive.

Then upon restart of the system making Non-Dos Partition as Active partition go to win95 or 98 and from that o/s install Win2000.

So next time boot up you will see solaris or win then choosing win you will see 2 more o/s Win95 or Win2000 after this you can go for LINUX.

I think initially it looks all big and tedious, confused definitely not .Do the R&D and the Practicall work out will teach you a lot and that will be ever worth it.

For more information this thread will be further updated.

Refer:

http://www.dbasupport.com/forums/sho...threadid=13886

Cheers

Padmam
    Attitude:Attack every problem with enthusiasam ...as if your survival depends upon it

Another way to do this, 2 oracle instances in 2 different OS on single system,
    that are working in same time.

I was using VMware package.
    1. I installed Win2000 as host OS.
    2. In Win2000 i installed VMware and created vitual network.
    3. Under VMware i installed RH 7.2
    4. Under Win2000 i installed Oracle 8.1.7 and in Linux i installed Oracle 9.0.1,
    5. Next I (optional) install samba package on linux
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Now I have 2 oracle instances (8.1.7 and 9.0.1) in 2 different OS (Win2000 and Linux RH 7.2) on single system.

But perfomance!!! (very bad on linux instance).