DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: can not log in after reset password using orapwd for 9i

I tried to setup remote admin option using orapwd, the server is Window 2000, Oracle 9i, here is the command I use:

orapwd file=eapwd password=ora entries=10

after I run the command, I was not able to log in SQL, Here is what I tried to do:

1. open DOS
    2. SQL /nolog
    3. connect SYS/ora as sysdba

the error message is: ora-01031, insufficient priviledge.

Any input I really appreciate.

DBA OCP 8i

you are connecting locally so you are not using the password file, it is used when you connect from another machine

just look your syntax, you have not used TNS String so you are connecting locally

secondly password filee has to be named PWDSID.ora, now I am saying this from my experience in 8/8i but I am pretty sure it is same in 9i

finally is your database started, what is your ORACLE_SID in your environment variable or registry?

The sid in registry is ping, the database can be started as service.

What is your suggestion to fix this now? I just want to regain the control for the database. can I recreate the same instance?

thanks,
    DBA OCP 8i

and what database are you trying to start, from your password file name I guess you want to start instance ea???

just go to MS-DOS set your ORACLE_SID and start the database

Question

No. I tried to start from DOS, I got the same error message. I thought if I issue orapwd command, it is going to change the password for SYS user. I guess it is not true for 9i. How can I fix this instead of guessing the password.

I am confused about the orapwd command, it require you shutdown the database before you run the command, but how it let the database know that the password is changed.

thanks,
    DBA OCP 8i

well drastic way is comment out the remote_exclusive_password parameter then start the database and change password again from there

or use connect internal, if internal asks for password then recreate the servicesd with oradim without specifying -INTPWD or try startup with oradim

there are several ways, just try