DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Archive Log

Question

I am working in oracle 8.0.6 on HP-UX 11.x. The database is in archive mode and we have a 18GB disk specially for the archive files which are also backed up in DATs. For the last 1 month, the archive logs are being generated very fast (around 2-3 per minute, whereas even in peak hours it generates 1 log file in 2-3 minutes). The size of one log file is 27264000 bytes. I have come accross one process which remains at the top 3 processes when run (it runs 3-4 times a day) and I have seen it updates one particular column for approx 139,000 records for each new entry onto the table. The syntax is as follows :- update x table set col.a = 0 where x.col.b = 'zzz' .
    Now I have taken a count of the where condition and it gives 139,000 rows.
    This is basically a part of the application which we have here and this process is adds new entries in the database (roughly 100-200 per day). For each entry, if it updates 139,000 records, will that generate archive logs ?
    Can it be a reason or one of the reason for such high archive log generation ?
    There are other processes also where updates and deletion takes place but they are normal routine processes which were there before.
    adg

Hi,

All the activities done on the database(except select statements) will be logged into the
    log buffer from which it goes to the logfiles.

Vijay.
    Say No To Plastics

R u performing any online backup of the database.

regards
    anandkl
    anandkl

This is basically a part of the application which we have here and this process is adds new entries in the database (roughly 100-200 per day)For each entry, if it updates 139,000 records, will that generate archive logs ?
    Can it be a reason or one of the reason for such high archive log generation ?

For each of 100 to 200 entries it updates 139000 rows, right?
    In this case you update between 13900000 and 27800000 rows updated. It could generate a big volume of redo logs.
    One, who thinks that the other one who thinks that know and does not know, does not know either!

archive log

First of all thanks to everybody who have taken some time out to answer my question. I am not taking any online backup. Infact the processes which are running are all routine processes. For the last few days, I am observing the database and seen that whenever that particular updation is taking place, redo logs are being generated very fast. I think I need to speak to the concerned persons to look into it (application side).
    adg