DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How do you use Erwin to organize your ERD?

How do you use Erwin to organize your ERD?

Here is the task I got:

We have a database with more than 150 tables. I need to prepare a good ERD (entity-relationship-diagram) for developers.

I use Erwin to do "reverse engineering" and get the ERD from the database. However, all I got is just a chart with all tables interwined together. It's really messy. I have to manually re-organize those tables very carefully. This costs me hours of time.

Does any know any better way to get a good ERD file from Erwin or other tools? Thank you.

You may create module wise ERD which is very easy to read.
    Designer and ER-Studio has this option.
    I am not sure ER-WIN has it.

The reason why I have used Erwin 4.0 is so that I can create a logical/physical model of my database pointing to scql server. Make all of the changes there, and then derive an new oracle model when ever I want. The models can be used to create the ddl for creating a database. As we are an ISV we spend a lot of time managing the base install scripts as well as upgrade scripts to go from version a to version b. If you use Erwin it is a good idea to take a few classes from CA if you haven't already. Also make sure that you are on Erwin 4.0 build 1693.

I used ERwin to. I did not find any any easy way to re-size tables.

you ar going to have to manually unwind all those relationships, you may try exporting into your tables one by one or groups of tables then it's easier to deal with relationships.

Visio also has a diagram Build module, try that........

Eugene Roytman
    OCP 8i

in er win try go to -> edit -> subject area, you can organize your ERD subject wise...
    Or one diagram can be break up in small diagram you can transfer your entity between two diagram....