DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Initialization Parameter

Question

Dear all,

I am kind of confused with info. in v$parameter & init.ora parameter file. How come the parameters in v$parameter is much more than in init.ora? How can I adjust the parameter value which does not exist in init.ora file?

For example, I didn't see '_new_initial_join_orders' this parameter in init.ora file, but I wanna change the value to FALSE. More, is there any meaning for parameters start with "_.", just like the example as above.

Your highly support will be much appreciated.

Peggy

[Edited by peggy on 05-13-2002 at 11:48 PM]

Parameters that start with "_" are typically "undocumented" parameters that should only be changed on advice by Oracle support (in theory).

There are much more parameters in the v$parameter view than the init.ora because the init.ora only specifies values that are not defaulted (in general).
    Jeff Hunter

Pfile

dear sir ,

Parameters mentioned in Parameter file are key parameter used for initializing database.

Whatever not mentioned in parameter is assumed to be default by Oracle instance.

V$database is superset of all the parameters normally some of them are reflected in Parameter file.

virajvk

A Wise Man Knows How much he doesn't know !!!

Wink

Dear both, thank you for your info., I did learn a lot....

More, I've got the answer for adjusting the parameter value.
    Just put it into init.ora & restart db (8i), or alter system, session set...for specific ones, right?

Anyway, thanks again

Hello;
    If you want an immediate change of the Parameters and the Parameter is dynamicly changable then use ALTER ..., but do not forget to set the Parameter in the init.ora-file too.

In Oracle 9i there exists a binary 'init.ora' referenced with spfile-parameter and Oracle immediatly updates the file when the systems parameters have been changed dynamicly.

Ciau
    Orca

dear sir ,

So life is easier with oracle 9i becaz of SPFILE things

virajvk
    A Wise Man Knows How much he doesn't know !!!