DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to check the version number?

How to check the version number of an Oracle installation?

(a) Use OUI (Oracle Universal Installer)
    (b) select * from v$version;

How to check the version number of an Oracle database?
    (a) Use OUI (Oracle Universal Installer)
    (b) select * from v$version;

Could you please help? Thank you!

select * from v$version;

Are you sure v$version can display the version number of the database? I heard the v$version only display the version number of the Oracle installation.

Please advise. My concern is that we have a database that is not updated to the latest version. When I use 8172 point to it, the v$version shows 8172. This is not correct because the database has not been updated.

So, if you are not sure whether the db has been updated or not, how do you know the correct version number of the db?

Lisa,
    You are correct that v$version does not show the version of database. It only shows versions numbers of product installed.
    I have downloaded the patch 9.0.1.3.0 and only installed patch by using Installer and did not run Oracle scripts (catalog, catproc etc) but still v$version shows that I have 9.0.1.3.0

I don't know how you can see this information.
    Originally posted by DBA_Lisa
    Are you sure v$version can display the version number of the database? I heard the v$version only display the version number of the Oracle installation.

Please advise. My concern is that we have a database that is not updated to the latest version. When I use 8172 point to it, the v$version shows 8172. This is not correct because the database has not been updated.

So, if you are not sure whether the db has been updated or not, how do you know the correct version number of the db?
    OCP 8i

Try with sqlplus system/manager and see...

Nagesh

What do you mean?

How about this.
    select version from v$instance;

Susan

I don't think ANY v$ views can tell the version about the database. Here is my reasoning:

1. start an instance in NOMOUNT.
    2. Now you can check v$version, v$instance

However, the datafiles have not been accessed. The v$ views are actually derived from the Oracle Kernal. It's about the version number of installed Oracle product. It's NOT for the database's version number.

So, doesn anybody there can answer this question?

Lisa,
    I don't think you can find this information. If oracle patch has been Installed but you did not applied the patch instructions, I guess there is no way to tell. If these is difference between major version of datafile and software installed e.g. If the datafiles are 8.1.6 version and suppose you use oracle 9i software to mount oracle 8i database, I am sure , you will get error.

Sanjay

Originally posted by DBA_Lisa
    I don't think ANY v$ views can tell the version about the database. Here is my reasoning:

1. start an instance in NOMOUNT.
    2. Now you can check v$version, v$instance

However, the datafiles have not been accessed. The v$ views are actually derived from the Oracle Kernal. It's about the version number of installed Oracle product. It's NOT for the database's version number.

So, doesn anybody there can answer this question?
    OCP 8i

Thanks!

Are there any comments on this?