DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: High Utilization

High Utilization

Hi ,

1).How to find which process is high Utilizing CPU at OS level ?
    based on this OS level commands how to find username and session and osuser at database level ?
    Iam using SUN OS/LINUX/HP-UX operating systems ? I need for all OS , commands are different for different OS ?
    and how to analyze sar,vmstat,iostat,glance command outputs?
    what are the solutions to decrease high utilization?

2). What is Disk utilization, what is difference between Disk utilization and CPU utilization?
    How to find which process is High Utilizing Disk at OS level and DB level? for above 3 OS ?

3). How to find Which process is High Utilizing Memory at OS level and DB level? for all 3 OS ?

If you Knows answers Please reply me, or If you have any documents plz give that links?

But please dont give bad suggestions and Incomplete Answers ?

Thanks.

$$$$$

well, agree with you for bad suggestions but not for other. Are you expecting some one here to write the detailed documentation answering all your questions for each OS? Then you should hire one of us for a week. $$$$$

Here is my pointers to let you research and find the "complete" answers

1. use TOP in OS, note down the PID of the process consuming more CPU then join v$session & v$process to find session, user name, and osuser.

2. Disk utilization is I/O where as CPU utilization is resource utilization. For OS contact your system admin and for DB you can use OEM or AWR (assuming you are above 10G). Identify and tune bad SQL to decrease CPU & I/O utilization.

3. for OS use TOP and for DB use OEM or AWR (assuming you are above 10G). Identify and tune the bad SQL to decrease memory utilization.

A simple search on google gives you tons of documents on all the questions you have raised.

Thanks,
    Vijay Tummala

Try hard to get what you like OR you will be forced to like what you get.

Quote Originally Posted by gssr141 View Post
    If you Knows answers Please reply me, or If you have any documents plz give that links?

Thanks.
    Please make the slightest effort to show you've done some research on your own first before coming in here and demonstrating your laziness and expecting people to volunteer their time to help you with what appears to be simple homework questions for some class your wasting your time and money in.